• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89xj, odd yoke and driveshaft??

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
Just buttoning this rig up for the season and i need to stop this slip yoke leak!!! i know, sye, someday.
For now, i just need to know if the yoke on my 89 xj, aw4 with an np231 is different depending on the t-case or something, than other xj's.
I just am not sure if mine is a custom, aftermarket yoke or if its just standard.
And if its standard...what is the deciding factor about the xj for the yoke to be compatable??? is it the t-case? So i can find the appropriate one in the parts yard.
I looked at a couple in the parts yard the other day and the shafts i looked at looked wrong.
the distance between where the u joint attaches to the yoke and the splined tube part seems longer on the yoke i have, than the ones i looked at.
Sort of confusing but hopefully someone can decode this and give me a hand.
Thanks

Were the ones you looked at in the junk yard 4x4? Were they similar in year model to yours?

If they all have the NP231 t-case and all have the Dana 35 rear end, then the shaft/yoke should be the same on a 4x4 XJ. The only other factors I could think of would be if its the earlier NP231 made by AMC or the newer made by Chrysler. Not sure if they are exactly the same or not. Also, some XJ's had the Chryco 8.25 rear end which may also affect the drive shaft design.

Yea, the one i looked at was an 88 with a 4.0, looked like it might have been a different t-case though. thought that might be why it was different. I just was thinking maybe someone makes deeper yokes that allow for less binding and maybe someone put one on this thing....not sure if ill find one in the yard or not.

Back