• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-banger (4.10 geared) axle swap

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
im running 31s and soon to be 32s(hopefully)on my 95 4.0 aw4 xj..im still a student..poor..budget minded etc..i know alot of you guys cringe at the thought of swapping IN a dana 35, but itll be cheaper for me to throw a set of axles with 4.10s in them already from a 4-cylinder xj..couple questions though..would MJ axles do the trick?..i cant remember if the MJ rear axle is sprung under..and as far a vacuum disconnect axles go, what year axles should i be looking for or doesnt it really matter?..also how much should i expect to pay for the whole swap?...thanks guys

Mj axles will not have the spring perches or shock mounts you need for an XJ, an MJ is spring under. They'd have to be welded on.
If you find an Xj that had the 242 t-case then it should have a solid axle, and one that had ABS should have the beefier 297 series u-joints I believe. Might be something that's hard to find in a 4 popper. If you don't want the disconnect you could get a CAD axle and put your non-disco shafts in it. I believe rusty's has a $20 kit that has a block off plate for the vacuum actuator and has the right seal.
I think this is it, call to be sure, no pics.
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...=rustys&Product_Code=ABK-12&Category_Code=AXL

I did this on my XJ many moons ago. I picked up a set of axles from a 4 banger for $250 complete, ready to go. I ran these diffs with a rear lockright and 31s for about 3 years and never had a problem other than wearing out the unit bearings on the D30. Don't worry about the vacuum diso. Just take it apart and add washers onto the shaft to shim it into place, or have it welded. With 31s you don't really need the 297 shafts. Also the D35 uses two sizes of brakes, the D35 I got had the small ones, probably because it had the 4cyl. If yours are bigger just unbolt the brake backing plates, unbolt the T fitting for the brake lines and just leave the brakes lines hooked up, then you don't have to mess with e-brake cables and broken brake lines.

Back