• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel injector wire eatin squirrels!

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj that I've been working on for a year or so, so the project sat through the winter outside, squirrels nested in engine compartment and chewed through the wires going to the fuel injectors. My question is whether I can splice those wires back together or do I need to replace wiring more extensively?

Thanks- Buz

buzxj said:
My question is whether I can splice those wires back together or do I need to replace wiring more extensively?

Can you splice the wiring back together? My guess is 'probably'; I haven't seen the extent of the damage so really can't say with any authority whether or not it's salvageable. Should you replace the wiring? This would likely be the better idea - splices are more prone to failure in the long term.

92DripCherokee said:
Before replacing the wiring harness with a junkyard harness, I would go squirrel hunting!
Trust me I plan on it! I ran them out of the jeep now they're in the barn ... Can I replace just that part of the harness or are you saying the entire wiring harness should be replaced, sounds complicated. Great at welding, not so good at electrical work.

The fuel injector harness is fairly short and simple by itself. You could go and pull one from a junk yard and IIRC it would only have connectors for the injectors, TPS, IAC, MAT, and knock sensors. It unplugs from the main harness up by the firewall.

I have to redo that harness in my project as well. Although mine wasn't by squirrels it was from a prior neglecting owner. Oil soaked and overheated is all I have to say.

Oh and .22Mag bird shot shells work really well at getting squirrels inside a garage.

esrasmu2001 said:
Oh and .22Mag bird shot shells work really well at getting squirrels inside a garage.

Chase them outside and fire away with a 12 gauge. Then they will Really will know what hit them.

You should be able to splice them back together, did it at work all the time when customers had mice/rats chew throught the injector wires.

It is weird, the injector wires would be the only ones aten up under the hood. Must be something about them that they like.

I have 2 spare wiring harnesses 1 with, and 1 without the optional cheese and cracker flavored insulation.....but Ive repared alot of rodent damaged harnesses in my time hey! boil some sunflower seeds in anti freeze for them! ha!

The wifes XJ had a visit from a Weasel, sucker left bird feathers all over the top of the motor, ate the right fender well wiring harness and took a dump and peed all over her motor. It was really gross.
I washed it all off and put a load of Tai hot sauce in an old window cleaner (pump sprayer), coated the wiring and the top of the motor in general. One word of warning, be carefull of overspray, I got some in the heater air intake, that was interesting.
The neighbor tied a little plastic cup of (red corn) rat posion, in his engine compartement. It's corn dyed red and soaked in an overdose of blood thinner. But the smell of dead rodent on a hot exhaust, convinced me my idea was better.
Irrelevent, but Chevy designed there harnesses to taste bad to rodents, at least in the late 80`s. Some engineers idea, who likely had a visit from a rodent in the past.

Back