• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid lock question

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
where can i find a whole replacement lock set for the doors to my XJ? the previous owner of my XJ (not avanteone) tried drillin the locks out (or something) however they didnt really succeed. i looked on napa and a couple other places...but napa's was for only 2 doors...that doesnt include the hatch. anybody got any good idears?

What year? The early XJ's used GM locksets, so you might want to look into replacements for anything GM that had a hatch. just a thought.

its an 89

my 87 has GM locksets, so I would imagine yours does too. Might be something to take a look at, didn't GM make a 2 door hatchback in the 80s?

uh...i dunno LOL. only thing i can think of they made in the 80s like that was suburbans and blazers...but the blazers had flip down back hatches...if you can call it that....

i know theres some in cali (unless he moved) who works at (or used to) a jeep stealership...cant remember who it is tho

didnt the s-series blazer and jimmys have a hatch? They are from early 80's and up. Or, I look at ebay for this stuff a lot. Juts located an ignition cylinder. Which was posted about, reported that the ignitions were also gm in early models. :)

cherokee that site had locks and stuff...but they still only give me the 2 doors, unless i want to fork over the money for another lock just for the hatch

Ah, I see. It would be a pain having to use two keys to open all the locks. I think a locksmith could key the cylinders so they all work with the same key. I may be wrong, though.

I know I have seen at least a couple of XJ's in the junkyard with the keys in them. You might be able to find the same situation and rip out everything you need. At that point, it is a matter of how much time you are willing to give it vs. how much money you want to spend.

I may be in this same boat soon. My driver's door lock cylinder gives me problems from time to time. I am thinking one day it will just die.

yea....the keys for the lock still work...however its been drilled...and god only knows how many more times the lock will actually work before failing and locking me outta the jeep. plus i'm in iraq, and the jeep is in WA...so it will sit until i get home...then i'll LOTS stuff to install...new bumpers being the first thing:D i love jcr offroad.

Definitely take it to a locksmith. If they can't do it, they will know the best way to fix it...or where to get the parts.

Chevy cavaliers with a trunk lock might work..

A locksmith can definitely do it!

I bought some doors from a junkyard and I wanted the locks matched to my existing key. I found a locksmith who did two locks for $20.

Here's my advice - go to a junkyard, if possible. Get the cylinders from the doors, then take them to a locksmith.

Now.....getting the cylinders out can be a little tricky if you don't know how to do it.

First, there is a little plate ("door lock cylinder retainer") holding the cylinder in place. Once you get the panels off, use a screw driver to push the door lock cylinder retainer up (http://www.teamcherokee.com/Locks_and_Keys/index.html).

Once the cylinder is loose, you have to feel around inside for this little plastc "holder", if you will, that hold the metal levers in place.

These metal levers connect the cylinders to the rest of the locking mechanism.

Basically, these holders are plastic "C" clips that fit around the levers and hold them in place. Just apply a little pressure and they pop right off. Then you can pull the whole cylinder out along with the lever.

Now, these "levers" are connected to the cylinders with very tight "C" clips.....so it's better to just slide the whole thing out through the front of the door.

Once you practice getting these out in the junkyard, you will figure it out really quick. Again, just feel for the plastic clips that are holding the lever - and pop them off.. After you push the retainer off......the cylinders will slide right out.

Then a locksmith can hook you up real quick.

BTW, you may have to ask around for locksmiths to match your key... Some will give you ridiculous prices for this. But eventually you should find someone who can do it for very little... If I remember correctly, it only took him like 30 minutes to do two locks.

thanks a lot for the info:) when i go home i can work on it, if not, i'm sure i can weasel my brother into helping me:D i love having an older sibling some days:)

Back