• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diamond Plate Rockers...Pics!!!

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys heres a little update on my previous thread about diamond plate rockers...a few guys had questions on how tight the rocker covers would be.

These are black diamond plate rockers from DeeZee for a 2002 Dodger Ram 1500, they are aluminum painted black(bought that way).

I've noticed that the shape of a dodge ram tailgate is not the same all the way across...in the middle it seems to bow out more than on the ends.

In the middle of the rocker I have about a 1/4" gap between the rocker cover and the rocker panel itself. I ended up trimming the rear fenders so I could take the cover all the way to the end of the body.

I used the screws that came with it...I drilled and put one in the front of the panel...one in between the front and back doors and one at the back of the cover.

side view, not really noticeable how it bows in the middle.
HPIM0167.jpg

trimmed
HPIM0168.jpg

Cut/ notched to go all the way to the end.
HPIM0169.jpg

The rear...to show that there is maybe 1/16" gap at each end on the bottom
HPIM0170.jpg

From front, did not go all the way to wheel well.
HPIM0171.jpg

If you go to do this note: how your rocker panel is about an inch wide at the back door and beginning of the front door but as it goes forward it goes down to about 1/4 inch wide...this required a little trimming so they would fit flush to the panel.
HPIM0174.jpg

I plan on buying some black caulk to do the edge in the front and in the back a little...also I'm going to do along the top above the rocker...the bottom I plan on leaving open in case any water gets in I want it to be able to get out easy.

Overall...this is a good mod and will defanitly protect the rockers...I have a 8"x how ever tall the rocker is hole in the other side...that I cut the rust out of and filled with "great stuff" expanding foam from the hardware store. These panels cover the hole and I think they will prevent from further rusting.

Not planning on wheeling it, are you?
Aluminum, isn't the most protective.
And expanding foam soaks up water like a sponge.
Looks nice, though.

I just did this about two weeks ago, too. If you live in the "salt belt," I'd be sure to hose off the space between the actual rocker and the diamond plate during winter. That, or I might just slap some screws in from the bottom and finish it with more silicone.

Okie Terry said:
Not planning on wheeling it, are you?
Aluminum, isn't the most protective.
Looks nice, though.

I wheel it...but plan to keep my rockers intact anyway. They do what I want, which is cover up my beat rockers.

I didn't know that foam soaks up water though...I will look into covering the foam better to keep water away from it.

andrew2516 said:
I didn't know that foam soaks up water though...I will look into covering the foam better to keep water away from it.
If you're going to use foam, just make sure it's closed-cell foam. Then be sure it filled the cavity when dry and expanded. Ideally any exposed spaces between the foam and the edges of the cavity should be finished off with more foam or silicone to prevent water from getting in and pooling.

great stuff actually absorbs moisture in the air to cure, I don't know if it continues to soak up water after it's cured or not.

From their site:
"How are latex products different from GREAT STUFF?

There are two key differences between latex foam and GREAT STUFF, which is a polyurethane foam:

Latex foams are typically “open celled” and, as a result, can take on water. In fact, the same properties that allow you to wash latex foam off your hands with water also mean that the cured foam can absorb water. This can cause wood rot or deterioration in areas where wet latex foam is next to wood, such as a window frame. In contrast, GREAT STUFF is closed-cell foam. It forms a water-resistant outer coating when cured.
Latex foam does not expand. GREAT STUFF expands to thoroughly fill all voids and cavities making it an ideal air-sealant."

Looks nice, but id get some sliders on there pronto if you plan on wheelin it....or else, your nice diamond plate is going to look like what you tried to cover up!

andrew2516 said:
I wheel it...but plan to keep my rockers intact anyway.
I ride while wearing helmet instead of a ball cap even though I don't plan on crashing.

Okie Terry said:
Speaking from experience??? (reference: Snorkel thread) :laugh: :laugh2:

Jeffro600 said:
Looks nice, but id get some sliders on there pronto if you plan on wheelin it....or else, your nice diamond plate is going to look like what you tried to cover up!

Yeah...I'm think I'm going to do sliders next...I'll take pictures to show how this all works together.

Back