• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ bastard leaf pack?

xjcrawlr

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone successfully compiled a bastard leaf pack for an MJ (spring under) to get 4 in of lift?

Possible canidates include;
explorer
s-10
x-terra
H-3

Any thoughts?

Good luck finding H3 packs without paying an arm and a leg for new packs from the dealer. You will probably have the best luck with the S-10 leafs. Search for a write up that was done here, it's really good and in excruciating detail. I've heard of people netting anywhere from 2-6" of lift depending on which leafs you use.

Doing a 4" home-brew is a problem because you won't be replacing the main leaf. The additional arch needed to gain 4" of lift will move the two eyes a lot closer together, which is likely to result in some odd handling and trail articulation characteristics.

rustysoffroad.com has new 4" packs for MJs.
Junkyard leafs are really good for lifting the flat packs of the XJ, not so much for the very arched packs of the MJ. There really isn't anything out there that has significantly more arch.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

I dont think you can get 4" out of a MJ pack. It works on XJs because of he flat leafs. i did a main leaf under my main from a s10. It got me about an inch.

Spring over is the way to go.

Try some f-150 springs. You use the main, too but it moves the axle forward about 1". I ran them SOA for a while and gave me more lift than the stockers.

I got and just installed the RUSTYS leafs.
They are very nice, ride is a bit stiffer than stock. Only time will tell if they sag or not...hope not! :)

REALLYDONE.jpg

Before, with 30" tars and factory lift:

RearBEFORE.jpg

Now, sitting on 4" Rustys springs and 31" tars:

Rear4springs.jpg

Spring over IS an option, but IMHO, it brings more troubles than it worth. ESP. now that these springs are avalible.

CW

I found an old Sonoma in the Jyard. I plan on using these to add to my uppermost XJ leaf. I think that will work like the writeups I've seen here. If not, they cost 15 bucks apiece so Its worth a shot...add 2" shackles and its good 2 go.....

lawsoncl said:
How so? I'm SOA on my MJ and haven't had any issues.

Going spring over puts more force on the springs as you accelorate or just apply throttle. It allows extra leverage that the leafs need to soalk up. This problem is exasorbated by the fact that comanche owners do this to their already worn out, sagging springs.

There is a correct way to do a SOA. Use new or known good leafs. Use longer, "anti" wrap perches and new U bolts. Then possibly add a torque bar to inhibit axle rotation.

To my way of thinking, I am getting 5.5" of lift with a spring UNDER. I have no axle wrap issues or additional perches to buy. I relocated my lower shock mounts to the axle tube. My only difference in clearance, is the springs are hanging under the axle. Maybe two inches, I could have done a Ubolt flip and gained (lost) another inch. But to me this is a non issue. I have skidders under there.

I am glad to hear you have no spring wrap issues.

good luck,
CW

I also relocated the shock mounts to mid-tube. Worked out right to use rear shocks that came with the XJ 4.5" lift kit. I always hated seeing the shock mounts hanging down. Axle wrap doesn't seem to be an issue with the XJs, but they do have shorter spring paks.

cwlongshot said:
Going spring over puts more force on the springs as you accelorate or just apply throttle. It allows extra leverage that the leafs need to soalk up. This problem is exasorbated by the fact that comanche owners do this to their already worn out, sagging springs.

There is a correct way to do a SOA. Use new or known good leafs. Use longer, "anti" wrap perches and new U bolts. Then possibly add a torque bar to inhibit axle rotation.

To my way of thinking, I am getting 5.5" of lift with a spring UNDER. I have no axle wrap issues or additional perches to buy. I relocated my lower shock mounts to the axle tube. My only difference in clearance, is the springs are hanging under the axle. Maybe two inches, I could have done a Ubolt flip and gained (lost) another inch. But to me this is a non issue. I have skidders under there.

I am glad to hear you have no spring wrap issues.

good luck,
CW

If you use new springs and get an 8.25 from an XJ already set up for spring over, problem solved, right? I don't have an MJ nor know much about them, but I would think the perches wouldn't even need to be moved, am I wrong?

The width of the perches is different from XJ to MJ. The 8.25 w/29 splines is a nice swap/upgrade into a MJ with a D35, you would still need to remove the XJ perches and weld on new ones in correct position.

CW

Apparently, according to a website that I found from JeepsUnlimited, rear leaf springs off a '91 Dodge Dakota (or any other Dak from that generation) can give up to 5" of lift. They supposedly flex uber well.

feerocknok said:
Apparently, according to a website that I found from JeepsUnlimited, rear leaf springs off a '91 Dodge Dakota (or any other Dak from that generation) can give up to 5" of lift...

... to an XJ. Make sure you state that part, 'cause Dakota/S-10/ranger/whatever-other-small-truck won't provide any significant lift to an MJ.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back