• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 29 spline no-slip

BingBing

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running a Powertrax no-slip in their 29 spline 8.25? I don't have the coin for a Detroit so this is my only option for an insertable locker. Any problems or install concerns? I've heard rumors of the lockers shattering.

BingBing said:
Is anyone running a Powertrax no-slip in their 29 spline 8.25? I don't have the coin for a Detroit so this is my only option for an insertable locker. Any problems or install concerns? I've heard rumors of the lockers shattering.

The install was a breeze. I recommend doing a couple of "dry" runs on the bench putting it together. Just take your time.
It's super quiet you get the odd noise but that's expected.
As far as "shattering", like you said rumors, and if someones did shatter, which i doubt, it was due to poor installation.
Do it you won't regret it.

Good, i have a Lockrite in my dana35 now so i know what to expect. But i'm swapping in the 8.25 soon and can't go without a locker. Will they take some abuse?

Five years with mine,nothing but change the fluid.

Had mine in for 5 years -- regeared this past Summer and ended up having to take the no-slip out 'cause of some fatigued parts -- if you want details, feel free to write. I recommend the locker tho -- 5 years is a pretty long life IMO.

I like mine. I get an occassional pop here and there, but it works fine.

I put mine in a coupe months ago. It pops during sharp turns. Other than that it rocks off-road. Also, it was easy to install.

is there any good write up on the install with pics? i did a search, but none were for the 8.25....

please post up if you know of one, i am recieving my locker tommorow and might install over the weekend

thanks fellas:repair:

kscherokee said:
I was thinking about one of these, but my jeep is a DD and I put about 1000 miles a month on it. Would this locker hold up to that?
No problems with that. Before gas got expensive I drove 120 miles a day and had no problems with it: just make sure to keep even tire pressure.

get it, i'd say it is the best locker for the money out there

Are we all talking about the 29 spline Powertrax No-slip similar to the lockrite but with syncros. They are selling for $410. Randy's Ring and Pinion stopped selling these due to "too many problems". Whats going on with that. If you all have this than thats good that "real" people have it without problems.

Greenlantern said:
is there any good write up on the install with pics? i did a search, but none were for the 8.25....

please post up if you know of one, i am recieving my locker tommorow and might install over the weekend

thanks fellas:repair:

anyone?

I just installed one a week ago or so. I like it, but it's definitely a bit of a different animal than the lock right (got one in the front D30). Make sure you pay close attention to instructions concerning lining up the paddle. It's pretty clear and if you follow the step by step you should be fine, but I've heard of people having the paddle lined up a little off and breaking them on the install, or right after. Just use the check block, rotating the carrier so you can check on all sides before and after installing the pin. If all is well there once your installed, you should be good. If the tire spin test checks out, and it doesn't bind up you should be good.

That said, mine does seem to be a little more hesitant to break loose on a slow tight corner than the lock right. I get a fairly loud pop every once in a while and a quieter, but still noticable pop quite a bit. Once it disengages, it's quiet (i.e. no ratcheting sound like the lock right), but it's slightly a more noticeable pop sometimes to disengage in the first place. I just tested it at a construction site the other day and it definitely locks up good.

P.S. first post for me, but i've been lurking for a while. I've had questions, but didn't feel like getting lit up as a noob and told to SEARCH! Turns out search actually works pretty good, but it's not much for rackin' up the post numbers.

boomhauer said:
The instructions that come with the locker are excellent, you won't need any other write-up. It's a step by step booklet.
For the most part, the instructions are good. But they failed to mention two things.

The instructions don't tell you how to get the side gears out. They seem to suggest that they will just magically fall out. You may have to turn the yoke by hand or stick a shaft back in and turn. Then the gears will pop out.

You may (or not) need to grind down your c-clips to make them fit inside the locker. My c-clips would not fit through the slots. We just ground them down so that they fit and spun freely inside the coupler.

After some discussion on this forum, this may only be necessary when installing the Trac-Loc carrier version.

BingBing said:
Are we all talking about the 29 spline Powertrax No-slip similar to the lockrite but with syncros. They are selling for $410. Randy's Ring and Pinion stopped selling these due to "too many problems". Whats going on with that. If you all have this than thats good that "real" people have it without problems.

Anyone have an answer?

The active spacers are easy to break if you don't follow the instructions. Too many people get overly excited about finally getting a locker and they don't bother making sure that they have aligned the teeth by rotating the syncro ring....that's how I broke mine. Re-installed the locker after doing my disc brake conversion and SNAP. I even knew better and still screwed it up. It has nothing to do with the design, it's all about doing the job right.

An extra minute or two to read the instructions will prevent damging the paddles on the spacers. Randy's probably got tired of processisng warranty claims as a result of people busting the paddles.

Back