• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoking ?

so today driving back to school from my girlfriends house the jeep started to smoke out the exhaust pipe. it did it like two times pretty bad. my question what could it be. i was doing like 70 on 95 when it happened and the jeep was running fine according to all my guages. also it was about two and half hours into the drive. thought it might be oil leak but nothing was leaking after i got out and checked. didnt smell anything either. any tips to what it could be ? any suggestions to find out what it could be. emissions were done last summer so it should be in good shape still. new ignition wires and plugs,coils and crown. ?

well it was a white looking to a thick heavy gray smoke.

Have you added or replaced coolant recently? My buddy put in a 3-row radiator about 4 months ago right before we went on a trip up into the mountains, and on I-70 about 10 minutes into the drive we had a HUGE cloud of white smoke erupting from his tailpipe. Pulled over and looked. It appeared he had overfilled his radiator and overflow bottle and when it warmed up it started spitting the excess coolant out, angled while going uphill and at speed, was spitting it directly onto the now hot exhaust. Long story short, no problems, no more white smoke, and he now knows how much coolant to put in :).

how bout the transmission lines? friend of mines used to smoke at highway speeds, when i got under it i found a transmission cooler line on the tranny was loose and leaking and fluid was being blown onto the muffler. white smoke fits the bill for burning tranny fluid, i should know, i had a chevy trans crack in half and let go of all its fluid on the muffler:)

nope the jeep didnt stumble at all thats the thing. if it did i wouldnt of stopped but it went away and the thing seriously didnt act any different. im gonna check out the lines and see if anything is leaking and check all my fluids. could this be a serious problem as to internal workings of the engine? just curious cuz i need to figure this out. i also should put on a tranny cooler as well

it certainly could be a serius problem.
White smoke from the tailpipe is usually steam from a coolant leak into the combustion chamber. You'd be looking at a head gasket or cracked head most likley. Has it been overheated recently?
Of course this is all speculation that the smoke actually came out of the pipe, it certainly could be a leaking trans fluid line spraying fluid on the exhaust.
I'd check all the fluids, one's that are low are a likely suspect. I'd also change the oil, and look for coolant in there, usually if you've got a leaking head gasket you'll get coolant in the oil. makes it looks like a chocolate milkshake.

thanks i hope that this is not the case but would certainly make for some reason it was smoking. sounds serious.if that is the case what should i do to prevent the head gaset from going or is it already. i felt like it might be a big problem. shit i cant afford any of this.

The smoke could have been coming either from the tailpipe (that would be coolant from leaking head gasket) or from fluid (coolant, tranny fluid, or engine oil) burning away on the hot exhaust.
Check for leaks and check the engine oil for emulsification (chocolate milkshake appearance). A leaking rear main seal is classic for producing this sort of behaviour but you'll also need to rule out engine oil leaks from other areas (oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter o-rings, valve cover gasket especially at rear (this can mimic a rear main seal leak). Coolant leaks from the bottom of the radiator, lower radiator hose, and water pump are possible, as are tranny oil leaks from the lines going from tranny to oil cooler.

My junk used to smoke like a bastard on the hiway because it had a nice oil overflow passage in the rear main seal

i know its probably all salty but if you wash it and go for a ride on a dry day on the highway, run a paper towel across the hatch and see if its oil or coolant that you pick up.

my junker only smoked over 55 so the oil hit the exhaust

i looked but didnt go extreme but i know my rear main seal does leak a little bit and the rest of the lines seems to be ok. there is one line that does have a bunch of flui on it so i will check all of this and more when iget the time today.

Mine ('93 4.0 auto) does the same thing, usually after the tranny downshifts into passing gear. I think that my oil rings on the pistons are worn down b/c when I get home after long trips, I can see oil splatter/mist on the back hatch that came from the tailpipe. The Jeep runs great though, I just try not to push it too hard.

jeepmanxj94 said:
i was doing like 70 on 95 when it happened and the jeep was running fine according to all my guages. also it was about two and half hours into the drive.

My little 2.8 would be on fire. Letting up on the gas would help nearly everything. When a head gasket starts going, if it doesn't go all at once, High speed and long trips are risky. Be careful at least until you confirm exactly what the problem is. Your Jeep is almost 12 years old. 70 to 95 is kind of impressive until I saw it was on 34s and 12 years old. I mean the 4.0 is tough, but that kind of speed is tempting fate. IMHO

Tom in KY said:
My little 2.8 would be on fire. Letting up on the gas would help nearly everything. When a head gasket starts going, if it doesn't go all at once, High speed and long trips are risky. Be careful at least until you confirm exactly what the problem is. Your Jeep is almost 12 years old. 70 to 95 is kind of impressive until I saw it was on 34s and 12 years old. I mean the 4.0 is tough, but that kind of speed is tempting fate. IMHO
I believe he meant that he was doing 70 in I-95

I was mistaken. I couldn't understand why you guys weren't going nuts. Heh-heh, 65mph is still close to top-end for my 2.8.

Carry on gentlemen!

A common problem with the 4.0 is the lifter guides wear out at like 125K miles and/or the PCV system is plugged up, (this is real common stuff), If it happens at highway speeds and usually happens when you let off the gas I’d look at the PCV system.

hey sorry for the thread hijack :)..mine does the same problem only it does it when going up steep angles(like fourwheeling) 92 4.0..white smoke, usually goes away after a few minutes, changed the oil, no coolant or anything in it, also the front pcv or ccv vavle on the very front of the engine is broke...any ideas?

Zack

One time my transmission was slightly overfilled by about a 1/2 quart and on a long road trip ( with ample cargo) it spit fluid out of the dipstick tube when the unit got hot (i.e. steep uphills or passing). It happened about three times on the 5 hour trip and smoked like a bitch for a minute or two at a time??? I did have a nice film across my tailgate when I arrived.

ok, ill check that out...also when i changed the oil in it, i put in HD-30. Is this oil to thin for the Jeep( the jeep has 195K on the motor) Should i drain it and put in thicker oil? The smoke smells like oil but its white smoke...any ideas?

Zack

Last edited:
Back