• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar bushing replacement

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
I need new front swaybar body mount bushings, mine are junk, when I disconnect my swaybars my entire swaybar just falls down and hits my front springs. My problem is that my swaybar is supposed to be 25mm but where the bushings ride it is kinda worn down from dirt and is a tiny bit smaller, if I replace the bushings wont it still be a bit lose??? has anyone else had this problem ? if so is there a good solution?

Last edited:
I had the same problem and decided to replace the swaybar. There are two sizes available: std 24mm & HD 28mm. Also, get the proper size bushings. Dealer lists 4 different sizes (color coded). Maybe one of them would fit tightly around your current / used swaybar?

When I changed my sway bar bushings and end links I found out from the parts store what sizes they came in.

I got under my XJ with a dial vernier caliper and measured the bar right next to the bushing. You will need some accurate measuring tool, might be worth it to spend $20 on a decent vernier at Harbor Fright.

With the measurement in hand I then rounded down to the size figuring rust was making the bar seem larger.

You may also want to order new end links. I think the later ones have a joint that does wear out.

I purchased Moog brand components at my local parts store and they fit perfectly. I do recommend you use a fine wire brush to remove the old bushing mung off the sway bar. I totally removed my sway bar and used the bench grinder wire wheel to clean it up. I figured a "clean" bar would allow the bushing to grip better.

I placed the slits for my bushings forward.

I measured my swaybar and it is 25 MM but where it is worn out, it is very uneven and ranges from 25mm and smaller. I think I may have to buy a new bar, but until then I think I am going to order the 23mm bushings and see how they work out. Thanks

Back