• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 xj with a 99+ engine and theAW4

chpjeep

NAXJA Forum User
if i put a newer engine in my 91 xj will the trany be ok with the added torc, if not is there any thing i can do short of buying a new one...i think the rears will be ok...

if you do a 99 up engine in an older XJ, you'll have to rewire. it origionally had an OBD1 computer system, 1996 and up have OBD2.
as far as the transmission, no idea, but i presume the transmissions are different enough (obd1 vs obd2) to cause a problem. physical demensions will be fine, but electrical might get you in the end.

If you use all your accessories and just use the 99 + as a short block then you will be fine. If you want to use the intake and all the other stuff then you will run into issues with compatibility. 2000 up have the coil packs instead of the distributor, but from my understanding the distributor plugs right into the motor when you take out the sensor and coil pack.

chpjeep said:
if i put a newer engine in my 91 xj will the trany be ok with the added torc, if not is there any thing i can do short of buying a new one...i think the rears will be ok...
It will be fine the increase is small and the AW4 is strong enough to handle twice as much.

Back