• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats it take to put a 360 in a Cherokee?

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
I have a guy that wants to do some swapping with me and not so sure im up to it but it sounds good. I have a HO built 360 in my 66' Coronet thats for sale. This guy wants to swap me (for my engine only) a stock 360 including a transfer case, front and rear end out of a 81 Dodge 4x4 truck and hes willing to help me put it all together.

Is this even feasable? This would also mean me probably not getting my stock Jeep on the road for quite a while. :shiver:

Im really trying to sell the car to have cash to do more to the Jeep but wasnt really planning on "that" much!

This guy has a 67 Baracuda and "REALLY" wants my engine but has no cash!

Thanks,
Ken

I've seen a 318 in an '84 Wagoneer (XJ).

I have a 401 in my '84 Cherokee (though I wouldn't say it "fits").

I'd say your plan is feasible though you gave no mention of a transmission....

The only problem I see with that exact swap is the length of the transfer case adaptor for that transmission. That is a really long setup. I think the adaptor is around 12-15" long and the one for the Wag 727 is like 6" long. If you want to run that setup, find an 80s vintage wag with a 727 and use the output shaft and adaptor from it and you should be fine. The Dodge 360 is close to the same size as the AMC 360 so it should fit just fine in the engine compartment.

I would check around for some waggys, If you get them right you can get it with an NP208 w/drivers drop AMC 360, and a 727. in fact I have one in the drive way right now that runs and drives that I would sell you....It has a somewhat built AMC 360 w/4 Barrel Edlebrock Intake, and an Edlebrock 1406 Carb, a 727 transmission, a NP208 and a Front D44 and Rear AMC 20, make a real nice swap into an XJ. I think that the AMC 20 rear axle in the wags is overlooked too often, the only downfall it has is ratio choices---only goes down to 4.56.

I've done it.
My particular setup was really easy, I got the motor from a Waggy, made my own motor mounts, ran the stock manifolds, had to clearance the firewall a bit, and I ran my stock AX-15 w/o an adapter. I got a 360 flywheel from a bone yard, turned it down to the thickness of the AX-15's flywheel, and made my own pilot bushing. It worked good while I had it, cant say much for reliability, I sold it a week after the swap to get a newer XJ. Hope this helps!

klonestar said:
I have a guy that wants to do some swapping with me and not so sure im up to it but it sounds good. I have a HO built 360 in my 66' Coronet thats for sale. This guy wants to swap me (for my engine only) a stock 360 including a transfer case, front and rear end out of a 81 Dodge 4x4 truck and hes willing to help me put it all together.

Is this even feasable? This would also mean me probably not getting my stock Jeep on the road for quite a while. :shiver:

Im really trying to sell the car to have cash to do more to the Jeep but wasnt really planning on "that" much!

This guy has a 67 Baracuda and "REALLY" wants my engine but has no cash!

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,
This sounds like A) It's too much work, and B) You are about to get ripped badly

It sounds like you have a running HO LA360 in a vintage (light weight) Coronet. Nice package! He want's to trade you a used, 80's vintage LA360, with a tranny and a T-case from a Ram (which he probably bought cheap and scrapped the rest of the truck)?
I know you want a V8 in your Jeep, but if it was me, I wouldn't.

If course the guy with the A body want's your engine. Put that behind a nicely built TF904 and that car will really haul. He'll even have to put in frame connectors to keep it all under control ;)

Find somebody with money who wants to buy your car, just as it is.
Your Coronet, if it is in good shape, with a nice little power plant is easily worth much more than a junk yard engine, tranny and T-Case from a Ram.

Just my 2C FWIW

I would like to hear some more about that dodge of yours. Is it a 2dr? Do you have some pics. (interior, rear trunk extentions, torsion bar mounts, ect.. I might be interested.

Zuki-Ron said:
Ken,
This sounds like A) It's too much work, and B) You are about to get ripped badly

It sounds like you have a running HO LA360 in a vintage (light weight) Coronet. Nice package! He want's to trade you a used, 80's vintage LA360, with a tranny and a T-case from a Ram (which he probably bought cheap and scrapped the rest of the truck)?
I know you want a V8 in your Jeep, but if it was me, I wouldn't.

If course the guy with the A body want's your engine. Put that behind a nicely built TF904 and that car will really haul. He'll even have to put in frame connectors to keep it all under control ;)

Find somebody with money who wants to buy your car, just as it is.
Your Coronet, if it is in good shape, with a nice little power plant is easily worth much more than a junk yard engine, tranny and T-Case from a Ram.

Just my 2C FWIW

I already told the guy nix on that deal. Thanks!
Ken

sorry to go offtopic, but would you guys think a ls1 swap into a new xj(99) would be a extremly difficult install?

xray said:
I would like to hear some more about that dodge of yours. Is it a 2dr? Do you have some pics. (interior, rear trunk extentions, torsion bar mounts, ect.. I might be interested.

Its a four door, sorry. I was planning on going 'custom' with it because it is a four door. I was going to add 4 hiback bucket seats w/full length console to have room to add more speakers, guages,switches, etc..

Will get a pic when I can. Its stock except for a hole I put in the hood for a scoop because its just needed more and cooler air. I inverted the scoop so no rain or water problems. Engine compartment stays dry that way. Its listed for sale in the classified here w/more info and can fill you in on more if you like. I have receipts for 2100.00 in engine alone. If you like I will pm you w/details as it does need more work to see the street again. I have over 5000.00 invested so far including cost of the car to me. I ran the ad in Private party non Jeep section. I'll take 2000.00!

Back