• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change ignition on 87 pioneer, What do i need?

dj's 2000 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have just bought an 1987 pioneer and do not have a key for it. Found an aftermarket ignition cylinder on ebay for $20. What can I expect when I try to swap, I am half competent with tools. Thank you in advance.

D.J.

Pull the steering wheel and the lockplate. There's a small "lock" screw that retains the ignition cylinder (takes something like a T15 or thereabouts,) and once that screw's out, you should be able to pull the lock.

Installation is the reverse of removal. I don't recall needing the key to take the lock cylinder out, either.

5-90

Sweeeet! That is good news. Thanks. After I switch, then will see if runs. Then.......lift. Got it with 157,xxx and 4.0 auto. couple dents. Fingers crossed.

D.J.

Not that hard with a steering wheel puller, but if you dont have one... well, lets just say you go get one :). I didnt need my key to get the old one out, as my cylinder wore out so bad the key wouldnt work, hehe. Just, please, make sure you disconnect the battery. Also, while in there, if you hate the chime that buzzes at you when your key is in and the door is open, feel free to rip it out while in there. I did.

The lock cylinders are stock chevy and go for around $10.00 at AZ and other discounters......a locksmith did the whole job for me for around $50.00

Very interesting facts there fellas. Being as how I dont have the puller (near-by) I will get help loading, but how to unload since the column will probably be locked. I am thinking I will just hook the 2000 Xj up and DRAG off trailer. Very anxious to see what happens if/when I get a chance to fire up. Think my 2000 can tow my 16ft trailer and the 87 pioneer? Probably use my buddy's F250. Getting tomorrow! Then will probably posts lots of annoying questions about all the little problems I will run across!.. Thanks to all.....

dj's 2000 xj said:
I have just bought an 1987 pioneer and do not have a key for it. Found an aftermarket ignition cylinder on ebay for $20. What can I expect when I try to swap, I am half competent with tools. Thank you in advance.

D.J.

Take your title/registration and vin down to your local dealer. They will look up the lock code and cut you a new key that fits your old lock. Don't ask me how I know ;)

I am buying a salvage/tow vehicle. Will that make a difference on getting a key cut? Had thought of it, what is the cost for such a request? Thanks.

Swap is complete, couldnt have been easier. I bought a ignition for $12 (black) chrome was higher, rented the puller, and the retaining plate compressor from The Zone'. Went well, didnt know what wire was the buzzer so left it. Wish I would torn it out! After removing screws, and 5/16 retainging bolt cylinder came right out.

I used the F250 to haul home, has 5.4, 4x4, and no power! Wondered if I would make it! LOL Thanks for all the advice, gave me piece of mind to DIY. Locksmiths wanted $125 to rekey/cut new key!

Local stealership didnt want to try because 87 production year, amc.

New problem! Runs but, No Trans Fluid on stick. And needs exhaust.
Found oil change slips from local lube shop. And ATM receipts from local! haha

Back