• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a factory Tcase drop?

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 99 sport. From a "Soccer mom" it even has 225 STREET tires on it (fixing that Saturday). It's NEVER been lifted or used off road except to pull a small boat and a utility trailer. Funny thing is it has a Tcase drop. Could it be from the factory? Previous owner had no clue what I meant when I told him. I'm third owner and original owner was also a "Soccer mom".

do a search, theres threads about it. supposley dealers used that and the big add on peice to the TC output shaft(vibe dampender)

For what it's worth, there are no listed part numbers for it in any official parts catalogues I have: '89-'01; however, my father-in-law, a Jeep enginerd from the AMC days to present, says he recalls some driveline modifications were necessary in the lots after assembly from '96 on. He couldn't remember any specifics, and everything I find online is what I would consider anecdotal.

There is a factory-provided t-case drop. The 96 and newer XJs with Up Country suspension usually have a vibration problem. The factory "fix" for this is a transfer case drop. The service manager at my dealership had it installed on his wife's '99. It's installed by dealers under a TSB to correct driveline vibrations.

Here is the part # off the bag mine is in 05011910
Wayne

Great intel! Accoridng to the build sheet it doesn't have the UC susp. But it's nice that I can do step one of the lift and not worry about getting one.

I have one in my stock 97. I would think that if it had enough vibes from the factory to warrent a t drop , then any amount of lift will bring the vibes back . If I lift ,first thing on the list is a SYE , even if it's just a 2 inch BB

We'll find out if that's the case. I plan on getting started with the lift thing here in about a week, I'm going 2.5" as I have the parts around for that

@ a stock lift height if you need a transfer case drop, just imagine what'll happen when you lift it. Just for sh!ts and giggles you should take out the t-case drop and see what's up.
As a side note, never had vibes in my 96.

We'll see. If I get vibes I'll get a hackntap and investigate a local driveshaft builder or the spare front DS I have around.

Back