• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear for 35" tires

Nestor

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

I read some thread about gear under 35" tires, but people talked about combo axles..

Could I possible know what gear would be better to feel strong and good fuel economy??

Nestor

I'm running 35 / 4.56 with an auto. I had 33's and liked it a bit more. The 4.56 / 35 combo is ok,.... but I think I am going to build my new axles with 4.88's.

Depends what axles you have. If you have the 8.25 in the back then 4.56 are the lowest. If you keep the dana 30 in the front then 4.88's. If you go with a 44/44 then you can get deeper gearing down to 5.89 for the regular dana 44 or 5.38's for the HP 44. I'm loving my 5.38 gears in my HP44 and 5.43 gears in my 9", with 37" MTRs I can do 80 mph and be at 3,000 RPMS

BrettM said:
within 2% is the general rule of thumb

Right.

When matching up a Dana axle to a Ford or Toyota, you cannot always get the exact same gear ratio. I've heard of used 5.38 gears on ebay from racers, I think NASCAR or some oval racing with a few runs on them, but I wanted new Yukon gears.

i have 35's with 4.56's, it's ok, but i didn't have the 8.25 axle, i would have 4.88's.

Big Red said:
Right.

When matching up a Dana axle to a Ford or Toyota, you cannot always get the exact same gear ratio. I've heard of used 5.38 gears on ebay from racers, I think NASCAR or some oval racing with a few runs on them, but I wanted new Yukon gears.

BrettM said:
within 2% is the general rule of thumb

I see, that make sense. Thanks!

BrettM said:
4.88 is the safe answer. Some are happy with their 4.56s, some are happy with their 5.13s. Personally I have 4.88s (and auto tranny) and would like 5.13s.

this man knows what it is about, i have 35's with 4:88's, and wish i had a deeper set.........it was almost perfect when i put the 215's on to go get a modified sticker.

wvredxj said:
this man knows what it is about, i have 35's with 4:88's, and wish i had a deeper set.........it was almost perfect when i put the 215's on to go get a modified sticker.
Yep, I just put on a set of 35s and I really wish I had more then 4.88s.
Its very sluggish up hills, and I have to really get on it to make it go anywhere. Go as deap as you can:confused1

Agreed with all guys. I have ran 4.56s with 35s but always wanted more. My new jeep got 4.88s with 35s. Hell I still want more. I think 5.38s would be quite nice with 35s-------------Kyle

4.56s and 35s suck. it was so much nicer with 33s and it was great with 31s. i would love to have 5.13s

Hi Folks

But I was wondering 4.54 gear & 35" tires with automatic transmision. I think standard would need more regear to pass 5th on hightway.

Is it right??

What would the difference be in 4.88's and 5.38's with 36x13.50s? AW4 by the way

Gas wise, everyday driving on the street, on the trail?

Back