• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with buddy's Grand not shifting...

Terd

NAXJA Forum User
I know this site is not for Grands and I don't own one, yet one of my friends is having problems with his 2000 w/4.0 and ? on the tranny make(automatic)...but the problem is that it won't shift out of 2nd into 3rd of 4th??? It just hangs on in 2nd, replace vehicle speed sensor, and no fix...? could you guys help me out with this or point me to a forum that might???
TIA...

I "THINK" he may have a Chrysler 42RE transmission, double check that with a more informed source. I also "THINK" the 42RE is just an adapted 41TE, again double check, but those transmission will lock into Limp Home Mode basically, locking into 2nd gear, just so you can get the tranny to the dealership or trans shop.

If I'm right, your friend needs to take the vehicle to a dealership or an independent shop that has the very expensive tools that can read the TCM codes. No, the free scanner at Auto-Zone cannot read those codes.

Usuaully its a very serous problem that forces the tranny into Limp Home Mode, so warn your buddy he may be looking at a tranny rebuild.

Thanks alot Bill, We have a Snap-On Scanner, and the code or reading that it is giving us is something like "shift 3rd-4th SOI or SOL (not sure) -3rd. Don't know what that means as we are an antique aircraft shop...Thanks again and any input is greatly appreciated...
TIA...

the abbreviation SOL seems a lot like solenoid to me. If it's anything like an AW4 then solenoids control the shifts, perhaps it's had one go bad. Of course this is just a WAG, I've got no experience with any of those trannys.
You're best bet is to go to the grand cherokee site.
www.nagca.com I believe, it's just like NAXJA, just for grands.

Man, I really appreciate the info, Manche. I knew that there was a Grand site sort of like but not as good as NAXJA of course, and I'll go there and pester those guys!! Further input is always appreciated....
TIA...

Like it said, the shift solenoid isn't functioning. Common problem on post '93 Mopar transmissions. Needs to have the valve body dropped and repaired (I get Sea-Tac trans in WA do mine)

Back