• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Tint

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Anybody know a non destructive way to remove tint from a rear winow? A razor blade isn't going to cut it because I would rather not destroy the rear window defogger.

I'll razor the rest of the windows, this one just has me guessing some.

Thanks,
Sequoia

Scrape very carefully around the defoggrer grid.....

Just kidding. Most parts stores carry tint remover liquid. Just spray on and it should peel off. If thats a no go you could use something to soften it like acetone or paint thinner and then scrape with a plastic squeege. Once it starts peeling it should be easier.

use a mix of amonia and water, cant remeber how many parts but dave, a guy who tinted police cars for me all the time would use this and let it set, it would soften tint right up

Your in luck. I do automotive tinting as a side business. There are several ways to remove it. If you have a heat gun you can start to heat a corner of the tint from the outside of the glass until it starts to loosen the adhesive. peel it away slowly when it feels loose. work the heat gun back and forth in small sections. It takes a while to get the hang of it. Make sure the glass doesnt get to hot or it can crack and even shatter. Make sure that it doesnt get so hot that it will burn your hand and it shouldn hurt the glass. If you dont have a heat gun then you can soak the tint with 409 and then put a black trash bag on the inside of the window and let it set in the sun for an hour sometimes quite a bit longer depending on the temp and humidity. It really should be at least 65 degrees and very sunny for this to work well. As soon as the film feels loose you can peel it away slowly. You can use a steamer if you have one. Just start to steam a corner of the film and pull the film away from the glass as the adhesive releases. If you dont have any of this equipment then you can just yank the tint off dry and then soak the hell out of it with 409. Get some fine steel wool and get to rubbing. I hate this way but it does work. Hope that helps.

I just did this the other day. I used a heat gun to remove the tint. I then went to autozone and bought some of their window film adhesive remover. Just spray it on and let it soak for a couple of minutes. Then take a razor blake and gently scrape it all downward off the window. Worked pretty well for me.

Back