• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to buy or not?

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
i know i have been askin for a lot of input lately, but i greatly appreciate it.
i came across a 91 4dr AW4 4.0 160k. it has a 4in superlift (so the kid says) and like new 32x10.5x15 trxus mt's on A R rims,fenders cut, rear hatch is cracked, and passrear 1/4 panel is kinda mashed. i'm pretty sure i can get it for $900.
the jeep would be used for parts when needed for my other jeep. the tires are great. but is the lift decent? if it is then i see this as a pretty good deal. should i buy?

this site has helped me out more than i had expected. thanks again in advance.

I got a '92 Limited, 3.5" (at least thats what it actually was) skyjacker lift, auto, 4dr 150k. Might be able to point some stuff out I've had problems with...

Start it up and try it out.
Check the transfer case, by shifting it into 4Hi & running it around a bit in a dirt lot, then do the same in 4Lo( shift transmission and transfer case into neutral first, the 4Lo, then into Gear). Check all the fluids, shouldn't be cloudy or smell burnt. Put it in park and rev it up high (not red line, but close) with the A/C and stereo off and listen for rough sounds (knocking/ pinging). Check all electrical equipment, dashboard lighting, inboard lights (when you open the doors and such) and outboard lights (rev, brake, running, turn). Check body rust around wheel wells and floor pans, look for frame cracks. Also take a cloth and wipe of the differentials and check for cracks. Take is up to about 30-40mph on an empty road or parking lot, hit the brakes hard, ABS should kick in if you've got it, shouldn't jerk left or right, if the swaybars detached it will dive a little (nose down), but thats expected/not unusual. Then take it out on the highway and see if the cruise works (if you've got it).
Don't know a damn thing about the lift though, but I think there would be stickers or imprints on the lift equip/parts to check with the manufacturer(sp?)?
If your just using it for parts, don't worry about the frame or body rust (unless thats what you need the parts from).

Hope that helps some, hopefully somebody can chime in about that brand of lift,
Jackson

Back