• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to spray PB Blaster / Liquid Wrench on bolts when installing BB

NJXJ23

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I am happy to be a part of the club.

Anyways, I will be putting in 2" front poly spacers and 2" rear shackles on my 95 XJ Sport for a 2" Lift but I am a bit of a noobie when it comes to parts.

I was told by my friend that I would need to buy some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and start spraying parts / bolts. My question is what parts and bolts should I be spraying?

Looking under the Jeep there are soo many things. If someone could get me a picture of what parts / bolts I should be spraying in preparation for the 2" front urethane spacers and 2" rear shackles I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I'm more of a visual learner :dunce:

To put in an AAL you need to drop the axle out, that means you need to remove the ubolts, so spray those good. The leaf spring center pin will probably be all rusted up so spray that, but replace it with a new one when you put the leaf back together. The rear lower shock mount to allow full drop of the axle. For the front you should spray the bar pins at the bottom of the shock, and the coil retainer. When you remove those it may get you enough droop to remove the coils.

Basically spray any bolt that you may have to remove.

Greg

Maybe I'm the only one that saw him say a shackle in the rear?

If you're doing a shackel you need to lube up the lower bolt at the end of the rear leaf springs, and then lube the top bolts, which go into the main rail of the unibody. I don't remember if you can get the blaster behind there easily or not...I didn't have any major issues getting those out though many people have.

First, welcome aboard! We're always happy to have new faces/rigs around here.

Second, use the search button - please! Most questions that come up on a weekly basis are done to death - like, unfortunately, yours. With probably several hundred collected years' of XJ/MJ experience here, it probably HAS been covered before (and that's why we're also working on a FAQ section...)

Third - please don't "double-post." This means posting the same question to multiple sections of this board. Bandwidth ain't terribly cheap - and I'm sure the BoD would prefer spending the money/dues on the club than on utilities. This would be a "Mod Tech" question - so there was no real need to post to OEM Tech...

I really don't want to sound like I'm jumping on you (OK, maybe a little...) but, by following some basic guidelines, you'll get a lot more out of this site and these discussion boards than you would otherwise, I'm sure!

I think I'll go write that FAQ on "Posting Tips" now...

5-90

ChicksDigWagons said:
Maybe I'm the only one that saw him say a shackle in the rear?

If you're doing a shackel you need to lube up the lower bolt at the end of the rear leaf springs, and then lube the top bolts, which go into the main rail of the unibody. I don't remember if you can get the blaster behind there easily or not...I didn't have any major issues getting those out though many people have.

Opps didn't realize he said shackles, but isn't add a leaf far superior anyway?

be prepared to have to replace your axle u-bolts, you may not have to but i know i my stock bolts were rusted horribly, and mine is 2 years newer. also, they may not be long enough when you put the AAL in, you want to make sure there are a few threads above the nut for safety reasons

goodluck

If you have a rear toe hook set up your gonna have to remove it to get the driver side shackle to frame bolt out. When I did mine I remove the old rusted tow package and rear bumper. On the driverside behind the rear bumper bracket ther is a small access port were the toe hook nuts are located. on a strip of steel with around three nut's welded to it. If you don't have the toe hook just soak the shackle bolt's, two each. Be for warned that the bushing sleeve in the rear eye of the leaf may be siezed to the bolt making it PITA to get the bolt out. Patience is a virtue so soak the hell out of them! daily!

5-90 said:
First, welcome aboard! We're always happy to have new faces/rigs around here.

Second, use the search button - please! Most questions that come up on a weekly basis are done to death - like, unfortunately, yours. With probably several hundred collected years' of XJ/MJ experience here, it probably HAS been covered before (and that's why we're also working on a FAQ section...)

Third - please don't "double-post." This means posting the same question to multiple sections of this board. Bandwidth ain't terribly cheap - and I'm sure the BoD would prefer spending the money/dues on the club than on utilities. This would be a "Mod Tech" question - so there was no real need to post to OEM Tech...

I really don't want to sound like I'm jumping on you (OK, maybe a little...) but, by following some basic guidelines, you'll get a lot more out of this site and these discussion boards than you would otherwise, I'm sure!

I think I'll go write that FAQ on "Posting Tips" now...

5-90

Lesson learned... sorry :angel:

Well I tried the search button, but nothing came up. Plenty of people saying they have used PB Blaster but no pictures or diagrams of where to spray for my application

As I was saying, if someone could point it out (perhaps a picture) I would appreciate it!!

Thanks. I find I usually get my own point across when I'm fairly civil - too bad I don't usually remember that... (problem caused by dealing with corporations and insititutions, rather than individuals...)

I'd probably start by looking at the instructions - or just reading on what gets installed (like spring spacers/blocks, shackles, whatever) and go from there. Probably better to do too much than not enough - PB Blaster/Kroil/et. al don't affect bolt preload, just whatever's making them difficult to unload.

If you are inclined to use some sort of never-seez when you put it all back together (I usually am, especially on underbody...) make sure you remember to reduce installation torque by about half - to account for the lubricity of the compound you're applying. Failing to do so can have drastic consequences - replacing parts would be minimal...

5-90

raypla said:
Look in that Rock Lizard article theres alot of pics!
Cool, I just did a search for that and came up with this:
100_0128.jpg

Anybody want to draw arrows to parts I want to spray?

Now if I can go find a pic of the rear...

EDIT:
Myabe this:
lower-rear-shock-mount.jpg

wheeloff.JPG

Last edited:
you may be better off waiting to get the kit, looking at the instructions, spraying everything you need to take off, and waiting a couple days, spraying often

Back