• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

repairable?

WilderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a '89xj.... last fall she went on her side in a creek bed. Overall not to bad, but pass windsheild "A" piller/roof area smashed in, and whole pass side (window line and up) pushed over to dirvers side (3-4")... i havent noticed and realy problem on drivers side, seems straght. Question is, is it worth it to try and straighten the uper body? Or just leave it and beat it? I want it "street legal" so i can run it on the road, but thinking i should just start over with a new body.

J

CHOP IT AND TUBE IT!!
no seriously thats what you could do, half doors and all!

before...........
Picture006.jpg

after....... the tape is keeping the rain out.... i have cut the rear roof section off
12.jpg

11.jpg

as you can see, the front door were off, there is about a 2 in gap now at the top, you can kinda see that, look at were the front and rear doors meet
6.jpg

5.jpg

the more i think about it, i think im going to just chop it half way up and cage the whole thing, fab up some sort of windsheild to keep the spalsh out. Something nasty, d60 and some 44" boggers?:laugh:
ok, mabey just a d44 and some 35"
(those are 34" on it in the bottom pic(33" top pic)

get a wrangler windshield, folds Down! that would be cool!

Yeah this body is done. Cut the top off and cage it!! I really like the Wrangler windshield idea that could be slick. I would make sure that you tie the cage into the suspension mounts though. You're going to loose a lot of your strength when you cut off the roof and A pillars

Yeah! Where there was a pillar follow down the body to the "frame" thats where you weld the cage ties into, after that just remember tiangulation, triangulation, triangulation!

thats what i had figured, tie it all into the xj "frame" to siffen it up after cutting the whole top off

Heres an idea, I was thinking of doing it a while back here this should help
XJ_dimensionstoplesspaint.jpg

just ignore the "is there enough room for this?" because ichecked, there is
XJ_dimensionstoplessCageexpl.jpg

nice diagram, i dont think you would have the room to hide the cage in the fendors cavities though, same with the dash

you have to cut a hole in the plastic part of the dash right next to the A pillar, there is room inside the fender welds though, ive had all the removable panels (inside and out)off to check.
It just takes some creativity, a bender and welder, and a lot of patience!

Could Too!

ok, maybe not but im going to try anyway.....
Good luck,
Jackson

its compleately un salvageable, just send the whole thing to me and i will deal with the disposal of the scraps ( inner vioce ) [ then i can use the lift, axles, rims and tires and he will never know the differance HAHAHA:firedevil ]
sorry for your loss, i'll even give you a $100 for the scrap:angel:

in all serriousness, i would really consider choping and cageing it, think CAT or David Taylor along the lines of the beginning stages of TRUGGY!

A porta-power can push that back in place in no time. I've done it and mine was much worse. It takes some technique, but that isn't that bad at all.

i'll get some pics soon, but im in the progress of swaping all my compotents from the pictured wrech to a 91 body

j1.jpg

i said i was half done..... hahahaha

swaping parts to new body, i haven't planned the what to do yet with white one. thinking going to D60's, leafs front an rear and some 39s or 44's (mud boggin! hey im in the heart for corn land, not many rocks arround here)

Back