• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TruHi9 vs Currie Hi9...

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Besides the Tru having gears cut for it what is the difference? Is the Currie unit a flipped 9" with 8.8 gears? Where as the TruHi9 is a new desighn all together?

Ghost said:
Besides the Tru having gears cut for it what is the difference? Is the Currie unit a flipped 9" with 8.8 gears? Where as the TruHi9 is a new desighn all together?

The Currie High Pinion 9" uses 8.8 gears and the True High 9" comes with a 9" ring and pinion gear.

The Currie unit can be shaved where the True Hi 9 cannot (or so I'm under the impression).

As for companies, Currie is like dealing with a blind drunk cousin at Christmas and usually screwed up in every which way before your order comes out correct (I have MANY first hand experiences with this). True Hi 9 I have nothing in how they run their business.

Ghost said:
A couple main significant differences:
Currie does not use a third pinion support bearing, TruhHi does. This is the bearing that does most of the work in resisting pinion deflection and allows the relatively small 9 inch R&P to hold up against hundreds of HP.

TruHi also uses a thrust block stud that limits deflection of the ring gear under intense load. Currie doesn't.

Under high load the pinion is essentially trying to push itself and the ring gear away from each other. The third pinion bearing limits deflection of the pinion gear; the thrust block limits deflection of the ring gear.

There may be other structural webbing differences and obviously they use different gears (8.8 RC vs. 9 RC).
I know a big reason why Currie eliminated the third pinion bearing was due to oiling concerns. I don't know if TruHi is just not worried about it or if they somehow solved it.

The bottom line:
The Currie High nine is limited to lower HP and lighter rigs (like Cherokees).
The TruHi can handle everything (and arguably more with the Thrust Block) a normal LP 9 can handle. Which should be more than what we can dish out but I have broken the ring gear my my 9...... of course it was after snapping the housing so I give it a pass on that failure.

Greg covered the important stuff, I'll just add that the True Hi9 does work with any shaved housing that the CHP works with, + it has a higher pinion/driveshaft.

Paul

So that is nto a flipped 9" case with RC gears in it then?

Paul S said:
I'm not sure what you're asking, but the Hi9 has a custom case & gears.

Paul
That would be it....

Ghost said:
So that is nto a flipped 9" case with RC gears in it then?
You can't simply flip LP nine third member. The bolt array is not symetrical and it won't fit in upside down.
I guess you could flip a complete 9" axle assembly... but it would only make sense if you wanted to drive backwards a lot :looney:

I have looked at both, and honestly your better off with the HI-9 set up... at least you get Richmond reverse rotation gears with it... you can only guess what you get with Currie...

The oiling issue is covered by Hi9. There is a special baffle/scraper that is retained by the top housing stud that directs oil into the top bearing.

I've got about 5,000 miles on mine (my DD) without any issues.

hi9two.jpg

Capt. Nemo said:
The oiling issue is covered by Hi9. There is a special baffle/scraper that is retained by the top housing stud that directs oil into the top bearing.

I've got about 5,000 miles on mine (my DD) without any issues.

hi9two.jpg
Looks like someone robbed the coockie jar and got the arb too! That is one bling 3rd member!

JEONLYEP said:
What's the price difference between the two. If I'm remembering correctly, the hp that Randy's priced me was about 1500 with a Detroit in it. What's a Hi9 go for?

DAryl
all their prices are on their website: http://www.truehi9.com/Prices.html

one setup with a 31 or 35 spline detroit is $1999. the one you got quoted from Randy's must be the Currie (8.8) and almost certainly 31 spline.

Back