• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need diy alignment write ups

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to do my own alignment and need to see some write ups on it.I've seen go jeeps write up but I'd like to see some more.

Thanks guys.

This may sound dumb, but why do you want to see others? His is the one we always refer to.

I made one from pvc pipe, elbows, pushing springs, and two screws. One pvc pipe could slide in the other so I could make a slide rule type measuring device. The elbows allowed the cross bar to hang lower, avoiding teh lower control arms.
I had measured and made a scale on the pvc so I knew how far the tires were apart, then placed it between the tires, halfway up the front, took the measurement. Then moved the jeep forward so the tires rotated half a turn and took the measurement of the back of the tires. You want to leave the tool betwen the tires when you roll it forward. All you want to do then is find the difference, divide it by two, add that to the smaller measurement, and then adjust it to that.

I believe there is supposed to be a slight toe in (3/16"?) so you want to take that in to account. I'll try and find a pic of my creation so you know what it looks like. I actually just copied the alignment tool that I used in the army, I'm sure theres a pic of one somewhere.

Hope this helps.

boredchimp said:
I made one from pvc pipe, elbows, pushing springs, and two screws. One pvc pipe could slide in the other so I could make a slide rule type measuring device. The elbows allowed the cross bar to hang lower, avoiding teh lower control arms.
I had measured and made a scale on the pvc so I knew how far the tires were apart, then placed it between the tires, halfway up the front, took the measurement. Then moved the jeep forward so the tires rotated half a turn and took the measurement of the back of the tires. You want to leave the tool betwen the tires when you roll it forward. All you want to do then is find the difference, divide it by two, add that to the smaller measurement, and then adjust it to that.

I believe there is supposed to be a slight toe in (3/16"?) so you want to take that in to account. I'll try and find a pic of my creation so you know what it looks like. I actually just copied the alignment tool that I used in the army, I'm sure theres a pic of one somewhere.

Hope this helps.

I'm more interested in the castor part of the alignment because this is the area that is in need of adjustment the most on mine right now....not toe in/out.I have no return to center of the steering wheel and she's real unstable at speed...and irregular surfaces cause me to have to make constant adjustments to the steering ....so it's the castor that's off.

Eagle:variety is the spice of life.....

Whats up with go jeeps alignment page.....alot of the words on the right are cut off.
Man thats annoying.
Looks like his page needs an alignment....

Back