• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting a winch plate

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
need to put a winch plate on a piece of 4x4 3/16" box. thinking i should have got something a bit wider but its what i used. is just welding it on ok? theres not gonna be enough room on it to get all four winch bolts on it because of the size. i have a winch plate from an old bumper laying around that is 1/4" thick. what is the best way to make these 2 pieces one?

thats almost what i had in mind. i might see if i have enough room to do the opposite and set it back so that it wont be hangning out front. doubtful i'll have the room though. for bolting the back two bolts, is the only/best way to just drill a hole in the bottom of the 4x4 and use an extension? tapping it an option?

Ramsey said:
thats almost what i had in mind. i might see if i have enough room to do the opposite and set it back so that it wont be hangning out front. doubtful i'll have the room though. for bolting the back two bolts, is the only/best way to just drill a hole in the bottom of the 4x4 and use an extension? tapping it an option?

Tapping is not an option... with only a 3/16" wall thickness you won't have enough thread engagement for the required pullout strength. In steel, you want a minimum of the bolt diameter in the tapped material thickness, and I highly doubt you are using #10 machine screws.

yeah i didnt think so.

I like Brett's suggestion, but instead, mount it off the back of the 4x4, so that it's mounted in the grill like mine was when I had a grill.
It gives a little extra approach angle.
I can post a picture if you can't remember.

i hope to be able to do that. i had planned on cutting out the grill anyways but not quite sure if there will be room. gonna go check in a bit. i vaguely remember but a pic certainly wouldnt hurt.
thanks

is.php

i cant believe you would actually show that to people, the whole jeep that is.
thanks for the pic ;)

did you just bend the plate or use one off a tj or something similar?

ok the only way it will work is if i relocate my transmission cooler. that a big deal? any tips on where to put it?

Ramsey said:
ok the only way it will work is if i relocate my transmission cooler. that a big deal? any tips on where to put it?
I had to move mine also.
It's still in the same place, just pushed out of the way to clear the winch.

Okie Terry said:
I had to move mine also.
It's still in the same place, just pushed out of the way to clear the winch.
not sure i'm following you on this. could you elaborate a little more.

gracias senor!

Back