• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ ashtray

F. F.

RELAX, this is the WEB
Zi]Oaginall!ported`y dric1xj [/i 
just throw them out the window man, or keep a coke can with a tiny`it lefD in the aottom h the jcp. [/B Q/QTOTE

Um . I live in SoCal... and you wouldn't imagine how many times I want to@qring tc neck ` the iiot whobust di that tss bausH`g a fire on the side of the freeway thus adding an hour to my commute ime !! 

Notanly thr but tc pntenial for `osr of`ife and property that arises from such action! If this was meant as joke... it was a vdry ary poo one

Kejtar

What's up w/ late model XJ ashtrays? No metal insert? I just ordered another ashtray assembly thinking it would be included. My old plastic one's melting through. No more stogies in my rig? Geez.

just throw them out the window man, or keep a coke can with a tiny bit left in the bottom in the jeep.

I don't believe that you just said that...

Do NOT repeat NOT repeat NOT repeat NOT throw them out the window.

Don't even joke about that. If I catch anybody doing something that stupid I beat them soundly before calling the ranger. Seriously.

calling a ranger? i was'nt aware we were talking about driving in the woods here. So next time i throw one out the window on the interstate you can go ahead and call the "ranger" on me and i'm sure he will jump right on up and come after me.

Even still I agree with Tucker here...I smoke and even in the middle of Downtown L.A. I will not flick a smoke out the window. Aside from the woodsy part of fire hazard it's littering, littering is bad, m'kay.

Sequoia

I'm with Tucker and Sequoia.

Nobody should ever toss a butt out the window. It creates litter, and you never know when it's going to bounce into dry grass or brush and start a fire. Even on the interstate. Here in Connecticut we're not making national headlines for forest fires, but periodically along I-95 I'll see a patch of a few hundred feet to several acres burned. There's only one way that can happen -- some inconsiderate person tossed a lit ciggy butt out the window and drove off into the sunset.

Considering the fires we had last year and the fires they are seeing in the west this year, like Tucker I can't believe you actually wrote that, and I sincerely hope you were joking. It is NOT a joking matter.

What's up w/ late model XJ ashtrays? No metal insert? I just ordered another ashtray assembly thinking it would be included. My old plastic one's melting through. No more stogies in my rig? Geez.

Townie...go to the dollar store and get one of those plastic ashtrays that hang off your door sill (like the old drive-in speakers) and cut off/grind the handle. They fit PERFECTLY in the cup holder closest to the console on an XJ (at least on my '01) You don't need to stub it out, just drop it in the hole and it goes out, and no stink from your ganja. :cool: :D :arrowr:

Ummmmm....just one question here. Where are you supposed to keep your coke can with the smidge in the bottom? The single most serious design flaw of the venerable XJ....no cup holder!!!
You shouldn't be smoking anyway....bad for your health...or something like that!

Mine still has another cup holder in the front of the new ashtray location. Use the stock ashtray to hold your cell phone. The main thing that sux is you can't use a koozie on your can in the holders! Dumbass Mojunk Engineers!

For the '97 and newer, there may be two different "ash trays." When I ordered my 2000, the "power outlet" was standard, but the "cigar lighter" was optional. Does anyone know if Jeep used a plastic dish instead of a metal ash tray in the ones that didn't get a factory cigar lighter?

As a 20+ year cigar/pipe smoker (cigarettes suck) I just use the floor of the XJ for ashes, thats why I Rhino'ed it (1 reason anyway). After the cigar is dead and cold toss it in your trash bag. I have been guilty in the past of the flic out the window, but as I grew older I realized the negitive impact on public perception this has on my other favorite hobby. Ashtrays that fit in the cup holder are cheap, in the worst case a can and some velcro is a good idea. A lit cigar has far more BTU available than a cig. and poses a greater hazard.
Another alternative is to switch to a pipe on the trail....no ash to flic, when its done, let it cool in the pipe and toss the ashes in your trash.

It is not hard to get creative with this, there are many ways to dispose of your ashes properly, there is no reason to just toss it out the window anymore.

Line your ashtray with foil, problem solved.

Rev

Back