• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Large K&N filter on custom intake ?'s

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I am just about to build my own intake for my 89xj 4.0. I have decided to put it where the stock air box is for now (not cross over the engine and no snorkle for now) and I believe that I should use a 3" exhaust pipe for the pipe section and the largest K&N filter I can find. I have 2 specific questions about this set up.

1. I have found the filter I think that I will use. 3" mounting flange, 6" diameter tapered down to 4 5/8" at end and 9" long. I can get it for just a fraction over $40. I can get one with the same specs that are either 12 or 14" long and I am sure I can make them fit but they are significantly more money. Does anyone really think that the added area will make any noticable difference on a basically stock 4.0.

2. What are your thoughts on useing a precharger (filter cover, not prefilter) to keep the mud off the filter instead of building a elaborate mud shield.

Any input appreciated.

Michael

Check this set up that I did on my Cherokee. It took a trip to Home Depot for the supplies (actually a couple of trips). I don't think you will really notice the difference between the slightly larger intake but I would say there is some degree of difference. As for the precharger, if you are in REALLY dusty conditions or do a lot of playing in the mud I would probably say that would be a good idea. I am installing a skid plate on my jeep and one of my buddies got me some sheet metal that I am going to use to make a heat/mud shield.

Here's a pic of my set up.... (there are a coulpe of other toys that you can see in that pic such as the JET Stage II chip, Jacobs Pro Street Ignition, and the nitrous delivery going into the K&N filter..... http://www.lehigh.edu/~jasc/DSC00139.JPG

where is the N2O?

btl fed xj.

Any idea what the part number is on your K&N? How long it is? I can not tell what you used to conect the filter to the rubber intake hose??

I already have skids, and mud protection, but it still seems to coat the inside of the engine compartment when I go through it. I just thought that I would do what I could to protect the filter as much as possible. I have used prefilters but I think that the filter charger would do a better job.

Thanks,
Michael

I have done the same mod as you are describing. The part # is EK RE 0810 for the K&N that's about 9" or 10" long and tapers from 6" to 4-5/8".

This is my setup .... 3"OD Steel tube 7" long. 2x brass pipe fittings

fb963255.jpg

try this: instead of spending $ for a precharger, get an old stocking from your wife/girlfriend/sister/mother and cover you filter. when it gets soiled, remove it and wet it. voila! good as (nearly)new(d).

Here's mine (3" exhaust pipe, yes)

I'm planning a heat shield or something for the filter to save it from drawing all the hot air from the exhaust manifold.

Ferdig%20006.jpg

Thanks guys. I ordered the filter RE 0810 (did not order a filter charger, but will make a shield and try the stocking) and got some 3" tube. I will be getting the brass hose barbs soon so that I can put it all together.

What did you guys do with the small tube that goes to the EGR valve??

Thanks,
Michael

Back