• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric shock

gopking

NAXJA Forum User
Lately, every time I step out of my XJ, I get an electric shock when I close the door. Anybody know if this could be the sign of a problem, or is my a@@ just building up static on the seat?

relative humidity low outside? every time the air gets real dry around here i get shocked the hell out of when leaving my jeep. Only really an issue in the winter when its cold as well as dry.

Lay off the polyester snowsuit.....try something in the polar bear-skin coat line, as they are know for thier low static emmission.......as for the seal-fart smell, that's an entirely different problem altogether.

check your speaker wire connections going into the door, the insulation could be stripped off due to opening and closing the door, giving you a nice present every time you touch the metal part of the door...

It is due to static electricity building up. I usually help to hold on to bare metal as you leave the vehicle. Then you discharge the charge as you move. You could also try to put on some sort of anti static spray.

Torfinn

check your speaker wire connections going into the door, the insulation could be stripped off due to opening and closing the door, giving you a nice present every time you touch the metal part of the door...

doesn't work like that, if you dont believe me go outside, pop your hood and grab your 600+ amp battery with your bare hands (make sure your hands are dry first), take note of how nothing happens, then realize that your speaker outputs aren't even 1/100th the ammount of current with the stereo at full volume.

that and unless he is leaving the stereo on every time he gets out of the jeep, there isn't even any voltage there.

If you don't like the shock, touch the door with your key to ground yourself before you touch it with bare skin.
Another solution is to open the door, grab hold of the metal and don't let go till you are ready to walk away.

Its been happening to me lately also. I've actually seen the damn thing arc off the door more than once and zap me. It hit me underneath the finger nail onetime and I swear I almost cryed. I almost tied a wire to the axle it started happening so much.

Oh yah...try closing the door by pushing onthe glass.

This is very interesting. I hate this because i've gotten it pretty good a few times. My Puma pants don't help with ESD but the interesting part is i did mess with my speaker in the drivers door and it has been shorting out until i give the door a few good hits from the inside. I find this interesting is because i can drive around and go to get out and bam, GF hasn't complained about her side at all and she sometimes wears my puma pants. She got out of the drivers side one day and bam she got it good too ofr the first time....as i was getting out the passengers side metal door in hand. I know the speaker doesn't have enough juice to it as was noted above, i just find this annoying so i try to grab the handle. I will never always remember to do this though. Maybe I move around in the seat too much as a drive. o well time to fix that speaker.

Back