• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires rubbing - What would be the right backspace?

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I just installed the rough country 3" lift with the new lower control arms, new coils, new shocks (front and back) new add a leaf in the rear with 31" x 10.5" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on 15x10 Rock Crawler wheels. The tires are rubbing the fender flares and wheel wells.

Now, before you beat me up too bad with technical critique on any combinations, I just ask that you make it constructive. I'm new to this and I want to learn, so please help me out. First, I think the wheels are too wide......second, I never knew about backspacing on a wheel or anything like it. I think my problem may be backspacing. My guess is that the backspacing of the wheel brings it in under the wheel well, thus, taking it away from rubbing? So, my thoughts are that I have the wrong wheels and I need some backspaced wheels to fix my problem. OK, now please let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys...I love this website.

p.s. I have pics, how do you post?????

Dean

10" rim on 10.5" tires is probably too wide of a rim. With 31's I'd put them back on the stock wheels. That way they'll tuck up into the fender, but you'll have to shim the steering stops or install new LCAs with a bend for tire clearance. To post pictures you need them hosted somehere that lets you link to them.
Try photobucket.com

Stock rims will probably rub since the back spacing is 5.25" if I remember right. Get some cheap black steel wheels that look like the Rockcrawlers for like 50 dollars a piece with 3.75" backspace. I have a 2 inch lift with this set up and don't even rub at full turn. I cut the crap out of my fenders too, but that's another story :)

The rock crawler type 51's is what I bought, I just bought the wrong damn size! I like that wheel, it looks great on my xj. I got them for $52 a pop. What size did you buy?????

cstilesiscool said:
Stock rims will probably rub since the back spacing is 5.25" if I remember right. Get some cheap black steel wheels that look like the Rockcrawlers for like 50 dollars a piece with 3.75" backspace. I have a 2 inch lift with this set up and don't even rub at full turn. I cut the crap out of my fenders too, but that's another story :)

Back