• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 EZ Locker unlocking/ratcheting

just wrapping up a build-up and here's where i stand.

D30, 4.56s, EZ Locker (lockright copycat)
D44 4.56s, Spooled.
33x13.50 Interco LTBs (bias ply)

here's what is happening:

for the last 2 days first thing in the morning as i leave the driveway, as soon as i striaghten out the wheel and accelerate, the bias-ply flat-spotting starts bumping the rig around and next thing i know the front EZ Locker un-locks and ratches untill i slow to a near-stop.

i've had lock-rights before, and i know all about the tell-tale clicking and popping. but this sounds like a card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle!! in a parking lot thats not an issue, but at 25 mph it sounds like the end of the world!

both times it did it, it went away after a few stops and starts.

my theory:
bias-ply flat-spotting is acting almost like the tires have 2 different cirrcumferences thus un-loading the locker.
if i cant figure this out i'm gonna end up removing the locker. dropped the diff cover today and the locker install is good.

i've heard of this in rear applications of the EZ Locker. but never heard complaints about a front application.

what are you running for fluid? for the ez-locker, i read it calls for 85-140, i ran 75-90 and it was loud, i switch to the heaver stuff and it was ok.

was the locker new?

my lock right doesnt do it with my 34" ltbs. did you put the thrust washers back in?

crap!, i hope mine doesn't do that when i get it back..:doh:

Ramsey said:
my lock right doesnt do it with my 34" ltbs. did you put the thrust washers back in?

it is a brand new locker and carrier as well. new carrier had no internals.. was told i didnt need any of the stuff inside and i dont remember from when i did my lock-right a year ago.

you HAVE to have the thrust washers in, i would pull the cover and check again, they don't come with the locker.

hmmm...so do you want them??:)
mack said:
i would get a new set if you can, but if you need something fast i have a set of used ones.

you dont HAVE to have them, but they sure do help a lot. i've left one out before and it made it stay locked i believe, cant remember its been a while but it made it act up. put em in and you will be fine.

to sum it up, you HAVE to have them if you want it work RIGHT,
Ramsey said:
you dont HAVE to have them, but they sure do help a lot. i've left one out before and it made it stay locked i believe, cant remember its been a while but it made it act up. put em in and you will be fine.

I think i left them out on my lockright?

I guess that would be the reason why yours slips so easy mike.

i was thinking it was locking up sometimes, but driving on a new spool and underinflated tires didnt help either. but i now have a HUGE turning radius. so i'm thinkin it really does make a difference...

the real pisser is i just paid to have the gears set up. now i either pay the same guy to put in the washers, or do it myself and void any kinda warranty i had on the work.

Back