• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird headlight Idea

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
sorry If Im stealing anyones picture...theres another guy on here with a orange XJ with similar lights...Im wondering the legality and If Its possible to hook these style lights to the stock switch, and wether thier power would be as strong...not tryin to leave the square XJ style light, Just lookin for Individuality....any thoughts, anyone done a similar headlight swap for uniqueness?

I believe in the pic one is a driving light and ones a fog light, both hella's

dude i have so thought about that too i bet it would work but the only thing is what would one do about the reflector and turn signal? they look out of place. a custom bezel (fiberglass?....) would be sofa king trick around the light itself..

your right It does look out of place but thats what gives It Individuality from other XJ's, If you handy with sheetmetal you could Just make a flat piece that goes in the stock location with a circular hole that would Ideally look Just like the picture above....did I lose anyone with that? :confused1

sounds good to me, i dont think itd be too hard, they arnt legal though in most states (correct me if im wrong)

as far as the switch thats not too difficult either

Actually to put a 7" round in there you will need a 7" round bucket, the TJ bucket is some kind of plastic/composite and mounts to a flat surface, adjusters and such are built into the TJ's bucket. The downside of the TJ bucket is price, new they are around $100 ea, it's hard finding wrecked ones becuse most are destroyed in front end accidents.

well Im no wiring gooroo but anyone got a write-up, Im curious what would make It not legal?

oh yea I found the other guys rig with these, Peterbuilt, his rig is plain old nasty! Im even considering trimming that much in the front now...

RichP said:
Actually to put a 7" round in there you will need a 7" round bucket, the TJ bucket is some kind of plastic/composite and mounts to a flat surface, adjusters and such are built into the TJ's bucket. The downside of the TJ bucket is price, new they are around $100 ea, it's hard finding wrecked ones becuse most are destroyed in front end accidents.

Well what If you used the stock XJ casing and rounded off the Inside to make a 7" light fit, that would work right?

XJ99 said:
Well what If you used the stock XJ casing and rounded off the Inside to make a 7" light fit, that would work right?

I think you would have a problem lining up the 7" headlight retainer ring that holds the light in to the bucket. Have you had to replace one of your lights yet, that will give you a better idea of whats back there. Then find someone with a TJ and park it next to you, remove both trim rings from yours and the TJ and look at whats back there. The TJ bucket is actually a kind of neat design, realistically it would allow you to mount a 7" round headlight almost anywhere provided you had a hole behind it for the headlights prongs...

I'v changed the headlights before but Im gonna have to check again, only way I can tell Is giving It a shot, I know Its do-able because the first guys picture I posted did It and Im ok with that design, not super clean, Im more or less worried about the wiring and legality....

conversion015av.jpg

conversion057tn.jpg

conversion034zn.jpg

conversion068yd.jpg

XJ99 said:
I'v changed the headlights before but Im gonna have to check again, only way I can tell Is giving It a shot, I know Its do-able because the first guys picture I posted did It and Im ok with that design, not super clean, Im more or less worried about the wiring and legality....
The lights shown in those pics are (1) driving lights, and (2) off-road lights. Neither is street legal.

To be legal, headlights must have a high beam and a low beam, and aiming tabs built into the lens surface. They must be wired in such a way that the high beams cannot be on at the same time as the low beams, and the blue indicator on the dashboard must be illuminated when the high beams are on -- and at no other time.

To get the round look you have two options if you wish to be legal -- swap in the smaller round hi/low beam bulbs and buckets from an older vehicle with round, quad headlights, or swap in the larger buckets and bulbs from an older vehicle with dual round headlights. You would not need any changes to the wiring because the plugs on the back of the headlights is the same.

XJ99 said:
thats pretty damn cool, whos is that Ben? Did Mike build that for someone, thats like tube fenders on the TJ's...

If you're referring to the black XJ, it was built by Mark from Detours. I may be wrong, but I think he used CJ headlights and bezels with hi and lo-beams.

There was some more information about the design in a post about a month back.

Mark has quite the brilliant imagination.

Yepper, the black one is my DD, they're CJ buckets & bezels as Skyjacker
suggested, hi/lo legal.......side lights were turned and reshaped a bit then
5/16 bar was shaped around them to incase.

I'll post up the current bumper I came up with, its a bit funky but....its good
for now till I get time again.

for legal purposes, why wouldn't you just use the round headlight off a tj? The plug would be the same and it would work the same way. Or even use the H4 conversion, but use the round instead. As for fitting I like the black one with tube fenders.

Just as clarification, my post about legality was made at the same time the pictures of Detour's were being posted. His has high and low beams and is street legal. The first two in the thread are not street legal.

my2wdsucks said:
dude i have so thought about that too i bet it would work but the only thing is what would one do about the reflector and turn signal? they look out of place. a custom bezel (fiberglass?....) would be sofa king trick around the light itself..

this dude in my jeep club is doing just that. he's using the round TJ lights (same plug in the back as the H6054 used in XJs) and fabbing fiberglass surrounds for it. heres a picture of the template.
headlightproject015xj7ik.jpg

Back