• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Install Problems

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
In mid swap of my AX15 to Aw4, I went to go bolt the converter on and the male end is too big for the crankshaft. Motor is a 92 and the tranny/ torque converter is from a 91. Any idea what the deal is?

Question for ya - are you trying to bolt the flexplate and torque converter to the back of the block and then put the tranny on there?

Don't do that.

Bolt the flexplate up to the engine.
Connect the TC to the tranny; it's going to be a "twist-push-click" deal three times to get it to seat. langer1 posted a pic a few months ago in response to a similar problem I had - once it's seated your mounting bolts on the TC need to be something like 1/4" behind the plane of the bellhousing.

You don't still have the pilot bushing in place do ya? you don't need that either. Check out http://stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm for some more info; I don't have a direct link to that thread I was referring to and surprisingly don't have the pic saved.

BIG98XJ said:
In mid swap of my AX15 to Aw4, I went to go bolt the converter on and the male end is too big for the crankshaft. Motor is a 92 and the tranny/ torque converter is from a 91. Any idea what the deal is?
Have you removed the pilot bushing that was for the manual transmission?

langer1 said:
Have you removed the pilot bushing that was for the manual transmission?
No I have not, I will try that tomorrow and let yall know how that goes, thanks for the help

People force grease in behind the pilot bearing/bushing and then hammer a rod into the grease, the pressure of the grease being force out of the way of the rod, forces the pilot bushing/bearing out.

Thats messy and time consuming compared to using the right tool, but it usually works and is cheaper than buying a single tool for one use.

Rick Anderson said:
People force grease in behind the pilot bearing/bushing and then hammer a rod into the grease, the pressure of the grease being force out of the way of the rod, forces the pilot bushing/bearing out.

Thats messy and time consuming compared to using the right tool, but it usually works and is cheaper than buying a single tool for one use.
Great tip.

Back