• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! TRANNY PROBS!!!

Project_MudXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I think my tranny might be bad!!!

So heres the deal, I finally got my NSS wired up right (thanks to those who chimed in on that problem), and fired her up. It was idling a little shaky at first but soon started idling fine. The tranny is in neutral right now, or at least I assume so. Gear stick moves around as if it was in neutral. I had a problem that it wouldnt go into gear, and didnt realize this until it was up and bolted in. I was told it was probley my Master Cylinder not being hooked up at the time. One of my buddies told me that I might need to fire it up for everything to mesh right. I had the clutch in when I fired her up and when I let out the clutch there was a loud bang behind me. When I got out I looked around and there was gear oil ALL OVER my garage door. I saw the bucket of gear oil that I had collected when it would drain out during the process of swapping the transmissions was turned over. To my relief, sorta, since the Jeep is on jackstands, the tires started spinning and they kicked the bucket onto the garage door. But why were the tires spinning?? Shouldnt I be in neutral? Did I get a bad tranny or is something else not right?

On a side note, the crossmember is not bolted on and the tranny is up on my transmission jack underneath the Jeep. The tranny is a BA-10 that I bought from a guy on JeepForum in my area that swore it was a good transmission. The tranny sat underneath a tarp at my house for a couple weeks, and the Jeep hasnt been driven since Mid-January. Whos to say what it was doing at the other dudes house. Now Im thinkin the tranny was bad to begin with. Any thoughts???

bump?????

Ok so I got an update. I fired it up and held the clutch in. The gearstick is presumably in neutral. The rear end is fully jacked up off the floor. When I let the clutch out, the tires in the back start spinning pretty quickly. When the Jeep is off, and I rotate the tires, the driveshaft does not rotate with them. When the clutch is in I can rotate the driveshaft but it is difficult.

It's normal for the tires to want to spin a little bit even if the tranny is in neutral. With the engine off and clutch out, try spinning the wheels (hold one still) or driveshaft by hand. Should turn freely - if not the tranny might be stuck in gear.

Back