• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those who switched from 5 speed to auto

Abner

NAXJA Forum User
What are your impressions and are you happy w/ the swap? My set up is a 88 with 37's and 5.13's, stock gears in the t case. Anybody have a simular set up, and how does it perform on the trail and highway. Looking to ditch the internal slave in favor of a auto. Thanks

By far the BEST mod I've done to my XJ. Even better than the custom D44 front.

The AW4 is a VERY strong/reliable tranny. I was sooo happy to ditch my Peugot with its puky internal slave. I haven't touched the tranny since it went in.

I wired in a 2nd gear please swt and am very happy with it on and off road. Only place I can say that the manual was better is when doing a steep downhill descent the manual braked better. But with 5.13s in the diffs it won't be an issue. I'm currently running 4.10s and 36" tires, have 5.38s waiting to go in.

The auto is so nice for just crawling over things, the torque convertor justs lets crawl along nice and smooth, no fear of stalling.

If you are going to do it you pretty much need a complete donor vehicle. There are a lot of parts you'll need. Search my name and you'll find a thread I started and kept up while I was converting mine. Autos here are really cheap. I paid $650 for a complete '89 XJ with 90,000kms on rebuilt motor. Ran perfect but the body and rear wiring was toast. For comparision just a used AX15 and related pieces needed to convert my Peugot would have cost me $800.

I love having an auto now for rock-crawling. I would actually still prefer a manual but it would cost thousands more to get proper gearing. 4.88s, 35s, stock 2.72 t-case and it's great for crawlin and pretty decent on the street though 5.13s would be nice.

cLAYH said:
The auto is so nice for just crawling over things, the torque convertor justs lets crawl along nice and smooth, no fear of stalling.
=

thats what a handthrottle is for......id rely on a ax15 before a aw4, but true the peogot sucks

Back