• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ tow hook brackets

HIWYH8R

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to buy some front brackets and tow hooks for my 90 XJ but brackets and hooks are off a 99 XJ. Will these fit mine. Are there any unibody changes through the years? Thanks

Kel

yes they will fit you might need to cut the old bumper brackets off, they changed the bumper brackets some time probaby when they did the switch

XJ Tow hook brackets fit 1984-1996 or 1997-2001. They will not exchange across the different body styles (1997 + or -) unless you remove the welded on bumper mount (see pic). The actual frame bracket and mounting holes on all XJs are the same 84-01, the only difference is the bumper mount.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
XJ Tow hook brackets fit 1984-1996 or 1997-2001. They will not exchange across the different body styles (1997 + or -) unless you remove the welded on bumper mount (see pic). The actual frame bracket and mounting holes on all XJs are the same 84-01, the only difference is the bumper mount.
standard.jpg

I dont know where you get your info from but its total spobi the bumper mount for the 01 will fit with a tiny bit of modding......to fit them on your 90 you will need to notch the bottom of teh bumoer about 1/4" and drill a new hole for top mounting screw......I have done this 4 times now and have it on my ladies xj that we took to MOAB fall fling last year

Maybe I wasn't being specific enough. The tow hook bracket (pic 2) fits all years IF you remove the welded on bumper mount (pic 1) from the tow hook bracket. Pic 3 is the original stock welded together set up.

standard.jpg

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

Last edited:
maybe I was not specific enough YOU DONT HAVE TO REMOVE THAT BRACKET MY 95 I just made a 1/4" notch in the bottom of teh bumper USED THE 01 BUMPER BRACKET and drilled one hole in the top of the bumper for the 01 bracket.......

I think we have the same idea from different viewpoints. I didn't know you could mod the bumper, I work in a machine shop (really big power tools) and it was easier to just remove the bumper bracket. Then the existing stock bumper brackets (any year) can be re-used plus they don't need to be welded back to the the frame bracket. No need to yell.
Either method will work.

Last edited:
the problem is you said the brakcet wont work and it will without altering it.....you make a 1/4" notch on the bottom side of the 90 bumper (remove a 1" section of theunder side lip of teh bumper..........then drill 1 hole in the top of the bumper for the 01 stock bumper bolt.........it took all of 5 minutes to do all the work........no cutting welds.........no using old brakcets.........just put it in the way it is I will post pics when my battery charges a bit

Back