• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 in place of 231

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
I believe that there is a difference in the linkages? anyone know for sure and if not anyone take a pic of their 242 linkage an e-mail me. I know the pro's and cons and want the 242 for a couple of reasons, including my wife driving in the winter and the possible trade of the 231 to a guy with a wrangler for some bigger axles!!!! (Dana 44 and dana60) John

I have an extra linkage setup (I think) and would be glad to verify off of the one on my XJ if you need a new linkage........I'm in UT

The only difference "linkage" wise is the t-case shifter gate and indicator. You can actually live with the 231 ones but you don't get the good "feel" when shifting the t-case. I did this same swap for the same reasons and I am VERY glad I did.

BTW, you are aware of the input spline differences for different years right?

yup aware of the different splines. donor is 89, accepter is an 88 should be good and have the indicator for console but not sure if I kept the shifter gate. Thanks

John, I have a 242 in my junk right now with an SYE on it that I'll be dumping off after Moab. So any miscellanious (i know i spelled that wrong) parts you need, I'll have.

sye and driveshaft??? how much ???did you get the right trans for the Dana 300? I found a guy wanting to trade a ford 3/4 ton dana44 and dana 60 for the 231. My sons Commanche will be mine shortly!!!!!!

Hey oneton, do you run a hack and tap? I am very badly needing an sye and cv driveshaft but just waiting for money and trying to figure out what to get. Sorry to intrude on the thread--------Kyle

I run the first gen Tom Woods sye. I don't know if they make the hack and tap for a 242.

Back