• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar tubing

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have got some 1" OD 1/8" wall DOM tubing laying around. Would this be strong enough for a track bar or should I get something with a 1/4" wall?

drag link and track bar are .188 but the tie rod is .250 on mine becuase the drag link and track bar wont be getting bashed on the rocks like the tie rod will it should hold up fine considering dents from rocks are usualy what cause tubing to collapse/fail.

Went solid after bending my 1.25"X.188" wall tube.

I run 1.75"x.120". I did use 1.5"x.120" and also had no troubles. I changed material sizes for reasons of convenience not strength when I had to re-do my track bar design.
The trac bar should only be seeing tension-compression forces. If it's straight, with no bends, even a small diameter like 1.25" should be fine. If it has a bend, things change some.

The tensile strength on typical HREW is 55,000psi. Using the cross sections for 1.25" and 1.50" (x.120"), you get tensile strengths of 23,400 lbs and 28,600 lbs respectively. Both those numbers exceed the rating of typical 3/4" heims, the single (and almost the double) shear on a Grade 8 3/4" bolt, all TREs and certainly the double shear on the Gr 8 3/8" bolt that RE uses on their HD trac bar drop bracket.

I think that's probably strong enough.

Edit:
As I said though, if it has bends, the calculation complicates considerably. In which case I would just take the recommendation of what these guys are running.

Mine is 1" solid stock. I went to that after my previous RE track bar bent in a wreck. Never damaged it off-road though.

Back