• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys 8.5 - 9 inch coils

AKswampheep

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if these springs are going to be like most, give a little bit more than advertised lift. im planning on putting 2 inches of spacers in if its only going to give me 8.5 inches, before the flaming... ive got these in the jeep, im just waiting for the RK long arm to show up at my door. want to get alot of the steering stuff checked out to make sure its compatible with this much lift.. i know its alot and some people will say too much but i want a nice DD that is huge but still have upwards of decent off road capability

Holy crap...those springs with 2 inch spacers and your going to be pushing 11+ inches of lift....hope your planning on going with full width axles or ekse your gonna be one tippy XJ....??

Maybe he's got a heavy front bumper and wants to account for the sag??? If not I'm sure he'll share the pictures of him tipped over on the highway.

AKswampheep said:
ive got these in the jeep.

Then you should know how much lift they are going to net.

your lifting a cherokee about 11-12 inches and your wanting a good dd? do you have 200 bucks for gas every week lol, especially if ur gonna run 38 or bigger tires LMAO some people are crazy

AKswampheep said:
I was wondering if these springs are going to be like most, give a little bit more than advertised lift. im planning on putting 2 inches of spacers in if its only going to give me 8.5 inches, before the flaming... ive got these in the jeep, im just waiting for the RK long arm to show up at my door. want to get alot of the steering stuff checked out to make sure its compatible with this much lift.. i know its alot and some people will say too much but i want a nice DD that is huge but still have upwards of decent off road capability

PM silverxj, he has rustys 10" coils and is running 36's he may have some insite for you. As far as I know, he likes them and it drives quite well.

fdsa487 said:
I had those Rusty springs for a couple months. You might was well cut a 2x4 out to size and put in place of your spring. That is how stiff those things are.

Were the springs stiff, or was your suspension geometry crap?

In fact, I believe the Rusty's springs are relatively soft for their height. Anyone have wire diamter, overall diamter, and number of active coils for the Rusty's spring?

CRASH said:
Were the springs stiff, or was your suspension geometry crap?

In fact, I believe the Rusty's springs are relatively soft for their height. Anyone have wire diamter, overall diamter, and number of active coils for the Rusty's spring?

The suspension geometry was not the best, BUT when I sat the Rustys spring (i think it was actually their 9" spring Pt# R909 or something) next to the RE ZJ 4.5" springs i then installed the rustys spring was only about 1 inch longer, therefore, allot stiffer. You know what im sayin?

fdsa487 said:
I had those Rusty springs for a couple months. You might was well cut a 2x4 out to size and put in place of your spring. That is how stiff those things are.
your crazy, my ROR805 springs ride nice as hell, and gave me exactly 9" lift have since settled .5''

fdsa487 said:
The suspension geometry was not the best, BUT when I sat the Rustys spring (i think it was actually their 9" spring Pt# R909 or something) next to the RE ZJ 4.5" springs i then installed the rustys spring was only about 1 inch longer, therefore, allot stiffer. You know what im sayin?
Wait, are you saying that you compressed a 9" spring to be only 1 inch taller than a ZJ 4.5" (XJ 6") spring and it was only 1 inch taller? That sounds like a really soft spring to me not a stiff spring.

well to all you people that are saying, nice seeing you flipped on the highway etc, the people that drive like retards will end up like this, i on the other hand drive sane on the road, im 17 and you guys think im a retard for doing this? ok well when you see me drivin down the road you wont think so, so id really appreciate the stop of the ghey comments, but anyways, im only plannin on running 36's.. and i have 4.88 gears so i mean gas wont be too big of a problem, i just wanted to know much much lift im going to net for the purpose of looks, i wanted the front about an inch or inch and a half higher than the rear.. it was just a question and not an insult so i dont deserve an insult in return

ZPD said:
Wait, are you saying that you compressed a 9" spring to be only 1 inch taller than a ZJ 4.5" (XJ 6") spring and it was only 1 inch taller? That sounds like a really soft spring to me not a stiff spring.

Uncompressed 9" Rustys was 1 inch longer than an uncompressed 4.5" ZJ spring.

I would say put the coils on and let them settle out for a month or so and take a look at them... if you like the looks then leave them, if you don't it's as simple as taking the coils back off and putting a spacer in. I don't think anyone is trying to insult you, but bring to light the fact that you're going to be driving an extremely unstable vehicle on road. Historically teenage drivers don't have a very good track record with normal vehicles, let alone ones that are WAY top heavy. Just be careful is all.

You can run 36's on 7 inches. You really don't need 11 inches. Plus at that height, you will run into a lot of other problems than just being top heavy.

Back