• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easy out, not

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ, OME lift, short of time, 2 broken shock bolts in rear, one drilled and taped again one broken easy out in. HELP? how in the H E double L do you get the easy out out?

NEVER USE AN EASY OUT TO REMOVE A BOLT THAT BROKE TRYING TO LOOSEN!!!

Last edited:
The fastest way is to weld a blob of metal onto the easy out then grab this newly created blob with vise grips and back it out. This method takes considerable skill as well as access to a good welder (this is how we did most of them when I worked in a machine shop). The method we normally use on aircraft however is probably more suited to the "do-it-yourselfer" we grind the easy out out with a Dremel tool and diamond bits. This is slow going but it will do the job.

Now getting the stuck bolt out is another matter. Back in the machine shop days (I still do this today) we almost never used an easy out for anything, we just welded a nut onto what was left of the bolt and used that to turn the bolt out. Somthing that will make it easier to turn is to touch it with a candle just after it stops glowing red from being welded (too early and it will burst into flames). The wax will melt and wick down into the threads giving them some lube. If you don't want to do the welding thing then use some PB Blaster penetrating oil on the bolt before you try another easy out, this stuff is available at Autozone among other places. Something that helps with easy outs is to step drill the bolt so that you have more contact area between the easy out and bolt, in other words you have stair steps going down into the bolt at the same taper that the easy out has so that the easy out contacts at two places (more on a larger bolt) rather than just one.

good advice!!!

I agree. A little late now, but I am really carefull any time I use a ez out, you have to have a good feel for if the bolt will come out or not, the prediciment you are in is the last thing you really want.

Welding could work, the nut idea can work, lubing it really well can help, and or you could always start over with new holes for the shock mounts and leave well alone.

Best of Luck,
Michael

plamsa cutter, it worked, cut the easy out out out out "sorry" drilled and taped. now for the front.

Back