• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Bleeder Nipple

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
Well I put on steel braided lines (extended of course) and went to bleed the brakes and apparently the owner before me destroyed the bleeder nipples. They are completely rounded off and I put a set of vice grips on and tried like hell to loosen them, but I just rounded them off more. I bought the new nipples to put on, but can't get the old ones off. Any ideas?

LilRedRover said:
Well I put on steel braided lines (extended of course) and went to bleed the brakes and apparently the owner before me destroyed the bleeder nipples. They are completely rounded off and I put a set of vice grips on and tried like hell to loosen them, but I just rounded them off more. I bought the new nipples to put on, but can't get the old ones off. Any ideas?

Try a little heat and candle wax.... Just enough heat to melt the candle wax as you touch it to the bleeder nipple. The heat will cause the wax to wick up into the threads and lubercate them just enough to get them loose.

The wax melts at like 120-140 degrees so you are not getting things hot enough to melt the seals inside the Wheel Cylinder/Caliper.

good luck

Jeff

Yurf.

I'd try soaking them in PB Blaster, Kroil, or air-tool oil for a couple of whiles first. Then, try to tighten them about 1/6-turn - this helps to break up whatever's holding them in place, and give you a "running start" on loosening - then loosen.

Sometimes, a tap or two with a lightweight hammer will also help to loosen them up - don't get stupid with the thing, just a light tap or two. Do this right after you spray them down - it usually helps with penetration.

Beyond that, it may be time to replace the calipers as well - I've not run into this just yet...

5-90

I would say it's time to trade those calipers in as a core charge. They can be a real PIA to get off once they get all rusted in there. It's easier to just replace them...but it never hurts to give it another try. good luck!

well I put the vice grips on soo tight that I couldn't get them off by hand, I had to stick a wrench in and pry them off. Getting all new calipers is an idea. Anyone know how much they run? Also, if I cut the end of the nipples off and put an EZ out on it, do you think that will bring them out?

I'm a little leery fo "easy-outs," they rarely are. And, if you break one of those off, they're harder than the hinges of Hell, and you'll end up destroying drill bits. You'll just about have to mill them out.

I'd just change the calipers - get "loaded" calipers so you don't have to buy brake pads, and I'd also take the bleed nipples out, coat the threads with a little Never-Seez, and put them back in. Be sure to wipe off any excess

Anytime you do a major brake job, repeat. Just a bleed should not pose a problem (but I do mine over every two years when I change brake fluid anyhow.)

5-90

yeah i ended up replacing both calipers... what rubber covers?

Back