• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Place To Buy New Shackle Bolts for 2" BB Install

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
I searched to no avail...

I will be doing my 2" BB soon and I was recommended to get new shackle bolts. Where is a good place to buy new shackle bolts?? I have been told places like AutoZone, PepBoys, and Advanced Auto do not have them. Maybe NAPA??

Thank you guys!

those are one of those things i only get from the dealer.

Ghetto2315 said:

I will be doing my 2" BB soon and I was recommended to get new shackle bolts. Where is a good place to buy new shackle bolts?? I have been told places like AutoZone, PepBoys, and Advanced Auto do not have them. Maybe NAPA??

Thank you guys!

Who recommended that? I have never replaced these on any lift I have ever done.

I just went down to the local Hardware store, with the old ones in hand.

I bought brandy new Grade 8 bolts and nuts. Dont remember the sizes, sorry.

I also swapped out my front CA bolts, but decided to go factory....sorry I did. They cost me almost $60 bucks at the stealership!!!! The same thing at the Hardware store in grade 8 would have been MAYBE $15. Most of the factory stuff is metric, grade 10.8 I believe. Just be sure you specify ALL grade 8 hardware.

Good luck,
CW

cwlongshot said:
I just went down to the local Hardware store, with the old ones in hand.

I bought brandy new Grade 8 bolts and nuts. Dont remember the sizes, sorry.

I also swapped out my front CA bolts, but decided to go factory....sorry I did. They cost me almost $60 bucks at the stealership!!!! The same thing at the Hardware store in grade 8 would have been MAYBE $15. Most of the factory stuff is metric, grade 10.8 I believe. Just be sure you specify ALL grade 8 hardware.

Good luck,
CW

$15.00 FOR 4 CA BOLTS......I'm not sure if you have a Tractor Suppy around where you live, but if you do, you can get them for around $2 a piece.

HaZakated said:
$15.00 FOR 4 CA BOLTS......I'm not sure if you have a Tractor Suppy around where you live, but if you do, you can get them for around $2 a piece.

Thats where I got mine. Grade 8 is all you have to remember.

Ghetto2315 said:

Thank you guys!

I'd only replace them if they are worn on any part.

I'd grab spares before doing the boost. My experience up north is that you're going to break or cut at least one bolt getting them off. Best to have spares for everything before you start. I replace bolts as a matter of fact though, and then coat the expose threads in grease, so they don't rust so quickly. The curse of a 20 year old truck in the north.

87manche said:
I'd grab spares before doing the boost. My experience up north is that you're going to break or cut at least one bolt getting them off. Best to have spares for everything before you start. I replace bolts as a matter of fact though, and then coat the expose threads in grease, so they don't rust so quickly. The curse of a 20 year old truck in the north.

That is the reason why I was going to get new bolts... but I cant exactly just take them out and go directly to the hardware store (I'm at school with lack of tools and equip).

I will be using my friends jacks and air tool on the day of the install, so I wanted to be prepared if incase I had to cut or break one, or two, or all.

If somebody can remember or knows the exact measurement, I would greatly appreciate it!

so Grade 8, size ___ ?

Last edited:
Ghetto2315 said:
That is the reason why I was going to get new bolts... but I cant exactly just take them out and go directly to the hardware store (I'm at school with lack of tools and equip).

I will be using my friends jacks and air tool on the day of the install, so I wanted to be prepared if incase I had to cut or break one, or two, or all.

If somebody can remember or knows the exact measurement, I would greatly appreciate it!

so Grade 8, size ___ ?

I understand about the bolts now! Road salt isn't something I grew up with in AL. So I don't even think about it.

A word of advise, on the shackle bolts. Mine came out fine, but made some god awful pops as they came out. You want as much leverage as you can get on these mine were hard as hell until the very end. I can only imagine them being rusted in. Good Luck!

I don't know if they also told you this or not, but you should replace your u-bolts also. I would reuse the shackle bolts if they weren't heated/cut off during the lifting process.

jfiscus said:
I don't know if they also told you this or not, but you should replace your u-bolts also. I would reuse the shackle bolts if they weren't heated/cut off during the lifting process.

Can I find U-bolts at other places like a harware store / Napa or are they a stealership only sort of deal?

14mm-2.0-4.5" grade 8,
a 9/16"x4.5" will work for the bottom bolt of the shackle. Just make sure its grade 8 or it will brake.

Ghetto2315 said:
Can I find U-bolts at other places like a harware store / Napa or are they a stealership only sort of deal?

I bought ones for a D35 from Quadratec & they came with shims.
I've bought u-bolts for an 8.25 from AutoZone in a (block) kit for raising & lowering vehicles.

tompatjr said:
I understand about the bolts now! Road salt isn't something I grew up with in AL. So I don't even think about it.

A word of advise, on the shackle bolts. Mine came out fine, but made some god awful pops as they came out. You want as much leverage as you can get on these mine were hard as hell until the very end. I can only imagine them being rusted in. Good Luck!
cutting wheel is your friend in these parts.

jfiscus said:
Why would he do this? Is the BB a shackle and a block or just a shackle?
If it is just the shackle, you dont need to get new Ubolts.

87manche said:
cutting wheel is your friend in these parts.

No the torch is your friend in these parts. Try to cut off as little as possible. When the torch doesn't work its still your friend because then you can just cut them off. No you don't need two tools to do the same job.

CMNCHE said:
No the torch is your friend in these parts. Try to cut off as little as possible. When the torch doesn't work its still your friend because then you can just cut them off. No you don't need two tools to do the same job.
I don't have a cutting torch, so i just get spares for the bolts and cut them off the first time. I find that just cutting them off and replacing them is easier than trying to cojule them off.

Back