• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont go into full time 4wd low?

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Dont have the 90' Cherokee here its being worked on but buddy says he cant get it into full time 4wd low for anything. He was road testing it and got every other gear and 4wd variation ok even 4wd full high but put into 4wd full low and nothing. Whats up maybe?

Thanks,
Ken

BTW its all stock w/35 rear and 30 front end.

Check your transfercase shift linkage. I had the same problem with my 96, and all it was, was that the bolt that held the linkage in place had worked lose. Tightened it up and everything was fine.

klonestar said:
full time 4wd low

OK, we need to clarify what transfer case we're talking about here.

If it's the NP231, the positions on the shifter should read 2HI, 4HI (Part-Time), N, 4LO (Part-Time).

If it's the NP242, the positions should read 2HI, 4HI (Part-Time), 4HI (Full-Time), N, 4LO (Part-Time).

Reason I ask is that there was no XJ that ever left the factory with a "full-time 4WD low" range. I think I know what you're trying to say here, but want to make sure we're all on the same page.

Thanks for that correction! I just saw the console my first time today and didnt pay that much attention to it. I had tons of other things I was looking at. Seems to me it did have a fulltime position but I cant remember 100%. I do recall that the visor lists when to use fulltime if that matters.

If your saying the NP231 doesnt have a fulltime option then right now I would have to 'guess' its a NP242. If thats the case then I dont know "what" he was trying to do!! :confused1

Make sure he's not trying to shift into low while the trans is in gear. The lever won't even move in that direction if it is. Shift the trans to Nuetral, unload the drivetrain, and then the shift the TC into LOW. That said, it's most likely the linkage needing adjustment. Twisitng and sagging take their toll on the linkage.

you also said road testing, don't put it into anything other than fulltime on pavement. Find a gravel parking lot or something if you want to test the 4WD in part time and 4-lo.

Thanks and it was on a dirt, gravel, mud, ice, and snow road. He may not have had it in neutral. I didnt know he was taking it out or would have told him this ahead of time. He did say the stick wouldnt even budge so I bet he had it in gear.

klonestar said:
He did say the stick wouldnt even budge so I bet he had it in gear.

This is normal with both the 231 and 242. The manual says that you can actually engage 4LO at speeds of up to 3mph, but since trying to judge 3mph is nearly impossible (and the sound of grinding gears in the transfer case is less than reassuring if you do get it wrong), the best thing to do is to stop with the transmission in neutral and engage it from there; it also really helps if you're already in one of the 4HI ranges before trying to go into 4LO. What I usually do is this:

- Come to a dead stop with the transfer case in either 4PT or 4FT.

- Put the gear lever in neutral.

- In one movement, shift the transfer case through its neutral position into 4LO. Do not pause in 'N' before going into 4LO.

This usually works. Sometimes it won't want to grab 4LO; if this happens, go back into 4PT/4FT, pop the gear lever back into drive or reverse, roll forward or back a foot or so, and try the procedure again. If it's feeling really obstinate you may need to try this a couple of times before you get engagement, but it's pretty rare for it to be that difficult. FWIW, having to roll a bit to get 4LO isn't specific to a particular case - I've run into this on XJs with both the 231 and 242; it just comes down to how the cases operate internally.

Last edited:
casm said:
This is normal with both the 231 and 242. The manual says that you can actually engage 4LO at speeds of up to 3mph, but since trying to judge 3mph is nearly impossible (and the sound of grinding gears in the transfer case is less than reassuring if you do get it wrong), the best thing to do is to stop with the transmission in neutral and engage it from there; it also really helps if you're already in one of the 4HI ranges before trying to go into 4LO. What I usually do is this:

- Come to a dead stop with the transfer case in either 4PT or 4FT.

- Put the gear lever in neutral.

- In one movement, shift the transfer case through its neutral position into 4LO. Do not pause in 'N' before going into 4LO.

This usually works. Sometimes it won't want to grab 4LO; if this happens, go back into 4PT/4FT, pop the gear lever back into drive or reverse, roll forward or back a foot or so, and try the procedure again. If it's feeling really obstinate you may need to try this a couple of times before you get engagement, but it's pretty rare for it to be that difficult.

Now thats easy for me to remember as I had a 74' chevy 4wd truck that I had to do exactly the same thing to engage in 4low. !

Thanks,
Ken

klonestar said:
Ok I did confirm by the shift pattern that its a 242.

242 bueno. The next time it rains or snows you'll be glad you've got it.

Took the xj out first time today. No part time low! Tried all suggestions except checking the linkage. Will do that tomorrow. If PT and FT high works then all that could be left is a linkage issue?

Thanks again,
Ken

Sorry got to look at dates, I thought I had it from just recent. Stupid noob mistake.

Hey, no problem there. It shows you were searching and found a good thread. Others may find it useful since it has been bumped up.

This makes me want to search for an old question of mine anyway. I've always wondered why I only have a green "Part Time" light on the dash for both 4-Hi and 4-Lo on my '99 with the NP 231.

Both 4-hi and 4-lo are part time, so it'll only have one light. Fulltime is for the 4hi setting on the NP 242 that uses the viscous clutch.

Back