• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Fender Flares

redsand187

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I was quick with the cut and didn't really plan out what I was doing... Now it looks like complete shit, (well not too, bad, but not nearly as smooth as I'd like, as I intended to put the stock flares back on, before I realized that I no longer have a way to reattach them up higher) and even though it's a 95% offroad only vehicle, it still annoys me.

So now, I think I may pick up Rusty's flares. I prefer the lower key look over the Bushwackers. How do they compare? I see on their rig they chopped the hell out of the fenders WAY past the welds, is this actually feasible without welding in a new inner fender? How do these things hold up? As long as they stay attached as good as the factory flares I'd be happy. I know there are horror stories of the BW's getting ripped out. I've been known to rub a tree or two, ;) so I'd prefer not to have to worry about reattaching these things every time I go out, and worrying about the metal damage.

And whats up with their shipping cost, 65 bucks for UPS GROUND 115 for 2 day? Jeebus, thats completely asinine.

hold up??...not very well, i had a set in the back of the jeep, while turning, a gallon of milk fell on them, and one broke!!

If its 95% offroad, I wouldn't use flares. I have bushwackers on my rig, and thats only to keep the pricks, I mean cops, happy. They are a major pain in the butt on tight trails like we have here in WA. My 2 cents.

in my opinion, rusty's flares will lose a lot more clearance that you think...if you go to the site and look up the rig they did the install write up on...you can see how much clearance they lost...the flares are brittle and price just about the same as the bushwackers.... if yours is pre 97 you could look at the extend-a-flare bushwackers...ive never seen anyone run these before but maybe? just not rustys haha just my thirty cents

I kind of figured that this would be the consensus. Part of my problem leading to flairs is, one they aren't very smooth looking, and two, they aren't even. Rather then spending all the time to really make them look halfway decent, I'd rather just cover them up. :)

My original plan was to chop the factory flares, and raise them up as high as they can go. So I went a little crazy, then I realized there isn't a good way to reattach the factory flairs. I guess maybe, if I tear apart the inside and bolt them up from the cargo area, that might work.

I don't really drive the thing much at all, (If I drive it, it is to test out a new mod, or to a trail) but I do live in a nicer neighborhood and park the thing on the street. So it's kind of a courtesy to the neighbors to keep the thing looking halfway decent.

when you bang the flares on trees, and they dent in your fenders, like they did mine, then it won't really matter.

Last edited:
TJ flares are cheap & sturdy... Plus you could probably even cut more out with them.
newblackpaint.jpg

HeavyMetal said:
talk to rusty, last i heard, the brittleness problem was being solved by the end of february with a new material that is pliable

i'm waiting for these

Back