• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LSD options for the 29 spline 8.25 axle???

Twistedimg

NAXJA Forum User
Well, gettin ready to gear down to 4.56's in my XJ and want to add a LSD to the rear end. Having trouble finding a decent unit for that axle. (Already have a lockrite in front).

I would prefer something clutchless, I believe they are called gear driven LSD or something. But no luck. I would lock it with a no slip or something but up here in the Northwest we get quite a few mornings where the roads are icey and slick. In fact it is snowing hard in Portland right now and driving home earlier I was glad I wasn't locked up in the rear.

So if you have any opinions let me know. Links would also be greatly appreciated.

And for those who don't know its a 97 XJ, RE 4.5" SF, 1.75" spacer, RE drop brackets, etc. etc. Just ordered some Trxus MT's (33x12.50) this morning so once I get it geared with a LSD in the rear I should be doin good.

dude, Im not tryin to be rude, but you should really try to search the forum for the answers before you ask. You WILL get flamed.
Use the search button in the upper right corner.

Aaron

99xjache said:
dude, Im not tryin to be rude, but you should really try to search the forum for the answers before you ask. You WILL get flamed.
Use the search button in the upper right corner.

Aaron

Oh trust me, I've searched. Given, NAXJA search feature has never treated me real well, I've still searched. Everything I've found that others have used doesn't appear to be available for the 29 spline axle. Tons of options for the 27 spline, and even more for the D44, but not finding much for the 29 spline.

In fact, only LSD I've been able to find is the Trak-Loc from Dana.

richasco said:
http://www.detroitlocker.com/newprod.htm
I have the factory LSD, it's clutches. It's good on road, ie. snow and ice, as well as trail running. Anything else is not too hot.

I'm trying to find a decent price on a truetrac as it sounds like what I want but so far best I can find is about $500 shipped. For that kind of money I'll go ARB and be done with it. Trying to avoid spending that much ya know.

You are looking for a Detroit TrueTrac. It is a clutchless, gear driven LSD. I just put one in my d30 with my 4.56 swap. Haven't tried it out yet, but will know after the snowrun this weekend.

I got it for $300 from www.DC4wd.com, I think he quoted me a 8.25 29 spline for $350, but not sure.

Search: Truetrac Tons of info.

Not to RAIN on your parade...., but Detroit TraTech does not recommend using the TruTrac with tires over 32"...
Several years ago during a NAXJA event in Moab... one of the members fractured a helical gear due to the stress of the larger tires...
I personally have run two different TruTracs and both provided OUTSTANDING trail and highway service.... with tires up to 32".

Charles

Back