• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the best shocks?

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, could yall list different shock companys and shocks that are good shocks for on road and light offroad use. And list their prices too. Im lookin for shocks to replace my stock shocks at my stock height. Thank you, -Austin

Last edited:
Not sure what the BEST are. I use Monroe sensa-trak coil overs. Mostly road use, Stock height, great ride quality, w/ the added stiffness of the coil over for those slightly heavier loads. Call NAPA.

I just put Monroe Reflex on front and rear last weekend along with new swaybar bushings and endlinks up front. The ride is amazing now I highly recommend the Reflex. I've used Senstrac on a Blazer in the past and they were great as well

What about Tokico Trek-Master Shocks? ~$50 a piece.

They are twin-tube low gas pressure design, not sure what the others are.

I don't think the Trek-Master Shocks are just relabled OEM shocks, I think these are upgrades. Tokico website talks about a lot of neat features and technology in these shocks, of course, thats their propaganda, but Tokico does have an excellent rep for great shocks.
special_2.gif

Anyone ever try them?

I agree with the sensa-trac coil overs/load adjusting shock. Just put them on and they are great and they boosted my rearend about an inch. Lifetime warranty! Got em at NAPA

97 XJ Sport w/Up Country suspension is the Jeep in question. Changed my stock shocks for Edelbrocks...oh, I meant to say, EdelCrocks...at 17,000 miles. Jeep did the Rubicon (once), I'll give it that. Rear shock came loose - installation issue? failure to retighten/retorque after installation? Anyway, it destroyed itself. Got new rears from Edelbrock (thanks!) but the Jeep had to go to their shop for the changeover. (Luckily the Jeep was in LA; now it's in Peru.) Today, at 87,000 miles (really low miles for a '97, in case I have to remind anyone), both fronts are leaking...strange noises. So fronts are bad; rears are much newer. No way I can buy fronts only...all 4 have to be replaced as a set. I have a complete set of Rancho premiums on the way, including steering stabilizer. Will install them soon, and then we'll see. In the back of my mind I'm thinking: should have stayed with the OEM shocks.

According to NAPA's website, the Monroe sensatrak coil-overs are sold as a pair for $120. Thats about what I paid, plus tax. It lists the reflexes as $41 each for the fronts and $38 for the rears, each. Go to their website,
Napaonline.com, lots of stuff there.

Personally, i think the oem shocks are a waste of time and money. Total crap, horrible ride. I will definitely invest a few extra dollars next time.

Beachmonkey6 said:
ok Thanks. What are yalls opinions on Ranchos? remember im using them for mainly on road driving

I had the Ranch 5000's on my 89 XJ with Upcountry springs and it was a rough ride. I would not buy them again. The do have a lifetime warranty, but as another poster stated, your kidneys don't have a a lifetime warranty. They are an off road type shock, beware. My 98 with the factory UC shocks ride much better.

I really do get a great ride with the Monroe sensatraks. Not here to sell you on them, just stand up for them. Ive got the load adjusters/coil overs in the rear and the regular ones up front. The ride on the road (80%) is great, not too harsh at all. Off road (20%) they are great also, no problems or complaints. Had them about two years now, still like new.

stay away from monro matic. I put them on before the Reflex and the rears were both shot in under 30k of mostly highway driving with two light towing trips. Waste of money

Aren't the Monro-matic also the Gas-o-Matic, the $18 shock? It seems $18 is the loss leader price for the auto industry. Notice the bottom line of many replacement items is always $18? Mostly junk to get you in the door and sell you something more expensive.

Bilstein.

Back