• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Smell Exhaust and Injectors

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
The problem i have is that i get a very strong raw fuel smell in the mornings or whenever the jeep has been parked for a some time (ex overnight). The smell usually goes away after a few mins, but when its there its very strong. There is no leaks anywhere as i have checked. I have posted about this and have taken advice and done what was mentioned.
I have:
1. checked functionality of coolant temp sensor
2. replaced o2 sensor twice
3. checked functionality of tps
4. checked fuel pressure

All that i can think of is that an injector is leaking after i shut it off . Is their a way to check for this ? This has been happening for about 2 yrs and if thats the prob cant that hurt my compression ?

As for replacing the injectors fivomotors only offers 19lb injectors which he lists for up 95 models, but unfortunately the injectors on 94-95 where actually 21lb units ??

Do u guys have any suggestions, maybe its something entirely else? ?

pete

Two options.

1: Leaking O-Rings at the injectors. Go to a dealer and get an o-ring kit, it should come with 12 for the injectors. Also get fuel line quick disconnect kits from them for your fuel lines - that is another leak point that WILL leak if you do not change them.

2: If your fuel injectors are the half plastic, half metal design they are prone to leaking where the metal and plastic mate, the only fix for this is new injectors.

Most likely you have problem number 1.

Sequoia

And yes, Jeeps do Rock ;)

Ditto on checking hte injectors. I would also crawl under the rig and check the fuel lines, around the fuel filter and the mounting bracket for the fuel pump on the gas tank.
BSD

Well ,wouldnt an oring/seal leak cause the injector to leak on the outside and not on the inside of the cylinder ?

I will check the fuel lines again for leaks.

pete

A friend of mine had the fuel line corrode away on his wife's 92 XJ, back near the fuel filter. Just something else to consider.

jeepsrock said:
Well ,wouldnt an oring/seal leak cause the injector to leak on the outside and not on the inside of the cylinder ?

I will check the fuel lines again for leaks.

pete

I'm sure it IS leaking to the outside of the vehicle; if you're running rich enough to smell RAW fuel you'll also be pumping out black smoke from the pipe. Fuel evaporates real fast so you won't see the liquid unless it's a MAJOR leak (I've been through this myself a few times).

Well i am not sure exactly what you mean, the smell is coming directly from the tailpipe. Its not coming from the engine bay or under the jeep its fromthe tailpipe.

pete

Not sure if this helps or not but today as i was leaving college i started the jeep and got out of the jeep to kinda give various sniff checks. The first thing i noticed was that the exhaust actually had really really transparent white smoke like thing coming out in very small amounts. I smelled the exhaust and it indeed smelled like fuel , popped the engine bay nothing there and nothing in the gas tank area.

hope this helps.

pete

From your explanation of WHEN you smell the gas; one or more of the fuel injectors may be leaking between the disc and seat of the injector until the fuel system is depressurized when you turn the engine is off. This would give a brief rich gas smell out the tail pipe when you start the vehicle.

Charles

Also if your thermostat is bad and the engine is not reaching operating temp it will stay in cold loop and run very rich..

Well charless whats the cure for that ?

RichP my engine gets up to proper temp in under 5min so i dont think thats the problem, plus this happens exactly upon startup not at any time after.

pete

Well, I just had an injector go bad in my 98 last week, result of the bad injector, jasper remanufactured engine installed today, just brought the XJ home tonight. Injector in #3 went wide open when it failed and dumped raw fuel into the cylinder, washed the cylinder down and took out the rings and burned the snot out of the valves.
Upside, welded a crack in the exhaust manifold I did not know about, new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel, new fan clutch and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't feel like typing but BOY does it RUN....

jeepsrock said:
SO u are saying i should just replace the injectors and not take a chance ? What was the symtoms when it was leaking ?

pete

I'm saying that I have a whole new thought process about MPI vs TB injection. The fact that one bad injector doing what it did wiped my motor does not make me happy as there were NO symptoms untill it restarted and then missed badly.
Spending $200 for a new set from Five-oh motor sports sure beats spending that same $200 + $2100 from jasper plus labor..

Well the same thing happened today, i started it and the gas smell was present from the exhaust.

My question is before i take the dive and buy injectors what else can cause this ? Can it be missing slightly casue this ? Can this be related to some emission type thing ?

I also noticed that once it warms up and i put it on park if i rev it it gargles and pops a bit out the back.

pete

jeepsrock said:
Well the same thing happened today, i started it and the gas smell was present from the exhaust.

My question is before i take the dive and buy injectors what else can cause this ? Can it be missing slightly casue this ? Can this be related to some emission type thing ?

I also noticed that once it warms up and i put it on park if i rev it it gargles and pops a bit out the back.

pete

Throw a scanner on it, you can buy a acctron for $140 or so that will show you any codes.

Well the jeep is a 94 xj so its obdI . The jeep shows no codes at all other than the battery disconnected code.

Please guys some ideas would be appreicated.

pete

If you have a garage available.... Remove the plug wires, turn off the lights and use a spare sparkplug to check spark color. Should be whitish blue....

Pull the individual sparkplugs and look at them before you start the Jeep in the morning... IF they look damp or dark.... then there is a good chance that cylinders injector is the problem.

Good luck troubleshooting the problem.....

Charles

RichP said:
Also if your thermostat is bad and the engine is not reaching operating temp it will stay in cold loop and run very rich..

I have the same thing happen on my 2000 when the engine is cold. Ya know in the morning at the end of the work day. Any ways as soon as the engine comes to op temp the smell and the slight smoke out the pipe goes away. You are probably just running rich until open loop comes into play.

I think it may be wise to replace my injectors and o-rings to possibly fix or rule out the problem.
The next siuation is all 94 xjs came stock with 21lb injectors.

The 2 sources i know of selling injectors.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/
is selling 19lb injectors and is saying they should work.

and

http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/category/fuelinjectorsstock/
selling 20lb injectors say they should work.

Whats the deal, which would u buy ?

PEte

Back