• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flag waving: XJ AMC 80s vs Chrysler's era XJs

Jim D.

NAXJA Forum User
See lots of JeepFreaks with older XJs. Good for you; I love them. But: I just want to say something. I had an 87 XJ Pioneer, used 4WD-extremely in Ecuador. Name the problem: I had it. Towed 3 times (twice clogged fuel filter, once because - honest - the clutch pedal broke off!!); radiator hoses rubbed through (in the boonies - ever have the out of body experience of smelling antifreeze when you're miles from civilization?? "That can't be me; I'm dreaming." Thank goodness for racer tape.); all suspension bolts loose after a tough off road weekend; hood latch catch broken; rear aux. light personally installed by me, ripped out of the fiberglass rear door by a thief the first night I parked the car in the street; exhaust manifold bolts cracked; I could go on, but why? The point: when Chrysler bought out AMC I personally witnessed the engineering transition during the late 1980s, early 1990s. Every little glitch that AMC couldn't afford to, or didn't, deal with - Chrysler reengineered and fixed. Improvements were impressive, to say the least. Big ones, or little ones: as simple as a metal clip for the hood rod in place of a plastic one. There is NO comparison between the AMC legacy 1980s and the later models. Now I have a 97: steel rear door, all new electrical system, etc. A milestone evolution for the XJ. Mine is perfect, with only 88,000 miles - yet only market valued at maybe 6 grand in the USA. So, what I'm saying is that the later the year of the "old" model XJ you can get, the better. And they're not that expensive, all things considered. Before you drop that precious repair or upgrade $ into your late 1980s XJ - think twice. Maybe you can find an early/late 90s Chrysler-improved XJ, and for sure, your money will be better spent (at least in my opinion).

Overall I prefer my AMC stuff, with only a couple of things that I think could/should have been done differently- like placing the M/C for the clutch right above the firewall connector for the ENTIRE wiring harness ( that was REALLY dumb) and using the stupid Puke o tranny. Oh, yeah- unit bearings instead of normal bearings for the front axle.
I like the RENIX system, since it seems to hop-up friendly, but some of those sensors cost a S*%^load.

Blaming the car for the filter clogging? That's operator error of filling at that station! Breaking clutch pedals sounds pretty wild (and I'm rough on mine!) Are you sure yours isn't a VAM built rig? The VIN would start with a 1 if US built.
The extra wiring junk added to later models sucks when they break down. My '86 is still going strong (2.5L with TBI) at 600,000 miles. Motor is just ready for a rewind (got overheated badly last summer when some asshat punched the rad while it was parked on the street and my buddy didn't notice it till 5 miles later)
If you want a prissy car, then later models are okay. If you want an offroad rig, who wants to toss thou$and$ on a newer rig.

I own several AMC vintage XJs and MJs, and two 2000 XJs. The new ones are nicer for "creature comforts," but for overalll quality and durability I think it's unlikely that either 2000 will ever match as far as my '88 XJ has gone, or last as long. The AMCs are simply sturdier vehicles. Chrysler changed a lot of things not to improve them but just to reduce the cost of building the vehicles. AMC's engineers had already done a very good job of optimizing the design. When you start cheapening an already-optimized design, you generally do not derive an increase in quality.

I wonder why the old renix motor usually out lasts the chrysler motor????

I would like to see what kind of shape your gen 2 xj is going to be in in about 17 years....mine is 17 years old and had about 170,000 miles on the ticker before I changed the motor due to a worn out timing chain,which was a result of neglect by the p.o.Its common knowledge that a properly maintained amc 4.0 can go 250-300,000 miles...maybe more.I've heard of more than one chrysler made 4.0 bitting the dust as early as 80,000 miles.

Take that as you will.....

323,000 miles, '88 XJ, Still running good. This thing has been lifted, used as a trail rig, brought back down to 2" to do part getter duty. Its been beat on well and the mantra always is with Renix: know the sensors and don't overheat!
I like the newer style and will pick one up soon, but the older ones are sturdy as there are still so many of them out there to prove it.

jeepdeepfreak said:
I wonder why the old renix motor usually out lasts the chrysler motor????

I would like to see what kind of shape your gen 2 xj is going to be in in about 17 years....mine is 17 years old and had about 170,000 miles on the ticker before I changed the motor due to a worn out timing chain,which was a result of neglect by the p.o.Its common knowledge that a properly maintained amc 4.0 can go 250-300,000 miles...maybe more.I've heard of more than one chrysler made 4.0 bitting the dust as early as 80,000 miles.

Take that as you will.....

My "Chrysler" 4.0 hit that mileage in half the time your's did with zero problems.
I'm sure just as many low mileage Renix motors died, but that would have been quite some time ago, owners have moved on and long since stopped caring to comment about it.

$.02

ive read alot of threads also where people have cooked their renix at 300+ degrees and had no warping or anything. pretty amazing... my only complaint would be the puegot...WHAT were they thinking.

OK, is not a RENIX engine just an AMC motor with Puegot Electronic Engine Management?

Is not the Chrysler era 2.5L and 4.0L motors, still AMC design, manufactured by Chrysler with Chrysler Electronic Engine Management?

Did Chrysler fire everyone at the AMC Engine Plant and moved engine building over to their plant?? Honestly, I don't know, but I doubt it.

Chrysler does set the specs and is resposible for quality during the motor assembly, as well, they have to taylor their Engine Management to the AMC motors. SO, you can argue that Chrysler dropped the ball, and the motors are less durable and quality than under AMC's management, BUT Chrysler at the same time was doing a great job with their other motors.

I've had Chrysler's 440 V8, 5.2L V8, 3.3L V6, 2.2L I4 and 2.0L I4. As well, I had a Chrysler/Mitsubushi 3.0L V6. All were great motors and got hundreds of thousands of miles out of each with little or no trouble. Some of them I put thru horrible abuse that they took and keep on running smoothly. With the exception of the headgasket on the 2.0L I4, which isn't a big deal for me, but can be for others, (a problem Chrysler has since solved BTW) all those motors have been great and are generally regarded by most as being good motors.

My complaint, and since I have a '95, its a Chrysler Era XJ; this is the first vehicle I've owned that at least half, if not more of the underside bolts are all siezed and snap off when trying to remove them. I've never had this much trouble with a vehicle, and its been mostly chrysler vehicles I've owned. Of all the vehicles I've owned, I had 1 shock bolt snap on a Mini-Van and I had the Axle U-Bolts snap on a '73 Charger, and thats it. My XJ has had more than half its underside bolts snap off.

Perhaps it was the prevous owner failure to do even the most basic cleaning of the vehicle, but judging from the posts here it seems common on the XJ's for the underside bolts to snap, WHY?

Anyone seen the new 2007 Dodge Nitro?
nitro.jpg

http://www.dodge.com/en/nitro/index.html?context=vehiclePage&type=vehicleLink
Look Familiar?
It comes with a 4.0L 255HP V6 and Full Time 4X4 (Automatic Trans) and Part Time 4X4 (6spd Manual Trans).

How will it compare to a Jeep Liberty?

carnuck said:
Blaming the car for the filter clogging? That's operator error of filling at that station! Breaking clutch pedals sounds pretty wild (and I'm rough on mine!) Are you sure yours isn't a VAM built rig? The VIN would start with a 1 if US built.
The extra wiring junk added to later models sucks when they break down. My '86 is still going strong (2.5L with TBI) at 600,000 miles. Motor is just ready for a rewind (got overheated badly last summer when some asshat punched the rad while it was parked on the street and my buddy didn't notice it till 5 miles later)
If you want a prissy car, then later models are okay. If you want an offroad rig, who wants to toss thou$and$ on a newer rig.

clutch pedal on my 89 broke off at the top. it was only held on with 2 tack welds.

i have 208k on mine without any major problems.

The way I compare a Renix to a later model is kinda like Sonny in the movie IRobot. "My creator made me with Better alloys". Thats why he can do things that other robots cant! If you get what im saying. Ive owned at least 5 of each(HO and Renix). Id have to say that te renix is my pick. I just like the way the motor feels and sounds much better.

Rick Anderson said:
How will it compare to a Jeep Liberty?

For some reason I'd originally confused the Nitro with the upcoming Caliber; the Caliber is going to spawn the Compass, not the Nitro.

Anyway, I'd expect the Nitro to be about the same overall compared to a Liberty, though I'm willing to bet it won't get 'real' 4WD (i.e., a lockable centre diff and low range). Can't quite tell from the photos, but I'm wondering if it's going to have independent rear suspension - the specs say live axle rear, but things tend to change between spy shots and production...

Last edited:
Driving an '89 Renix and both a '92 and '95 Chrysler HO Cherokees, I have to say, I love my '89. Not to say the HO motor doesnt last though, the '92 has 226k and still has all the power it needs. But my '89 with 155k is still breaking in :). Also, I have yet to have an underside bolt break on my 17 year old Jeep, and believe me, it is not clean under there... Oil, mud, and assorted other junk all over, as well as the mag chloride that CDOT sprays more than generously all over the streets here. Of course, Im not even going to think about touching the leaf shackle bolts unless im prepared to make custom lowered shackle mounts.

All in all, no matter what stupid thing I do to my '89, it still starts up and runs great, and thats all that matters to me :).

OK, is not a RENIX engine just an AMC motor with Puegot Electronic Engine Management?
RENault/AMC---BendIX. My 1990 XJ, the last year of the RENIX control system, has many parts stamped with the Chysler Co. star, just as many others marked "AMC". It's a real mongrel, but like any good mutt smart and tough. I guess 1990 was more of a transition year. Very glad it came equipped with the AX-15 and not the BA-10 transmission:viking:

Almost everything under the hood of my '89 says Chrysler Corp. on it... In fact I have yet to see anything that says AMC on it at all... ECU does say Bendix on it though :).

from a stand point of having many of both, the pre91 has less problems and from my experience better engine life

88 when sold had just under 200,000 now owners says around 300,000 no problems

my 87 mj has 235,000 and still within factory speecs and no issues

95 xj motor replaces at 165,000

96 xj motor spun bearing at 115,000

96 now has 98 motor with low miles on it and is starting to make the same noises as the 96 original motor just before it went kaput

as long as I can i will buy and run the renix junk

Back