• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compressor Question

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
Tis the season for A/C questions. I have a 95 XJ automatic. It idles rough when the A/C is on and I'm thinking it might be time to replace the compressor. Is this a straight-forward task, or is it deemed more appropriately done by a shop? If I were to do it myself, would I add freon after (I know, stupid question) to the compressor? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I can find a refurbished compressor for $150 on ebay.com. Thanks!!

Matt

This should only be done by a professional!!!!!!!!!!!!
For one, it is a huge fine if you get caught releasing the refrigerant into the air, assuming anybody turns you in.
Second and most important, you have to do alot more than just swap the compressor. It is not like doing a starter or the like.
It is BEST to let a pro do it.
You could take it to a shop for the removal and filling of refrigerant and do the wrenching yourself,if you can find a shop willing.

AnaheimXJ,
I should've thought about that before. I'll definitely let a pro do it since they have all of the proper equipment. Thanks for the advice!
Matt

Before you buy the compressor, do some diagnosyics. I don't think the a/c compressor could make it idle rough. The a/c puts more load on it, for sure, and it may idle rough under the additional load ... but that doesn't tell me with any certainty that it means the compressor is bad.

In a perfect world...

After spending $100 plus to have a reputable shop just recharge my AC system. I will never do that again.

Since your 95 XJ has the (so-called Green) r-134 refrigerant that you can buy down at your local Wal-Mart. I say go ahead with it.
just just freeze your thumb or other extremity off when purging the system.

The fines are for R-12.

No matter which path you take I stringly urge you to replace the accumulator/dyer. They like to catch and keep all the little metal filings that invariably come out of a dying compressor. Also make sure your lines get blown out with compressed air (more places to hide)

an ounce of prevention...either way it's up to you.

I know on my 91(Which is r12 and im sure yours isnt) it has valves right by the compressor to isolate it and thereby greatly reducing the amount of refrigerant that escapes. Again I dont know if this design changed or not.

In theory I guess you could isolate it, replace compressor, pull vacuum on just the compressor after you replace it open valves then add whatever you need.

Back