• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finished 3" OME lift

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a pair of 4* shims last nite to relieve vibrations, made them much, much worse! :eek: I talked with a mechanic at work and he said that I want + angle on axle pinion? and - angle on TC pinion? I'm going to do the smart thing and buy a protractor tomorrow and measure the pinion angles (instead of playing musical shims).
Is there a prescribed measurement that I want (whether + or -) on my yokes? Any peticular way to measure this? Do I have to remove U-joint to measure the angle?
Thanks,
BLUTO :)

2000 XJ, 242, AW4, D35/D30,31 x 10.5 x 15 ProComp AT's,

Since you dont have a SYE kit,you want the pinion angle to be about 1* less than the transfer case output shaft.

Let me see if I understand you correctly; if my TC output shaft yoke measures -2* (looks down 2* from perpendicular), then I want my axle pinion to be 1* less (or -3*) from perpendicular?
Assuming a zero* pinion, then I need a 3* shim?
Thanks,

Well your trying to be 1* less than parallel.So as you described your pinon should point 1* up!

BTW, one of the things guys forget(or dindt know) is that for every degree of shim you get about 1.5* of "net" change!Sorry thats for a CV shaft!!!

Measure the angles at the yoke bearing caps. Turn the U-joint so the output yoke is vertical. Find a socket that just fits in the yoke and rests on the bearing cap. Hold the protractor, with a string and weight hanging from it, against the socket and measure the angle. Do the same with the pinion output yoke. You don't have to measure the DS. The down angle of the t-case output shaft should be 1*(or less) greater than the up angle of the pinion yoke. It's a bitch to measure the angles. NOW, where can I get 2* steel shims?

Thankyou Walt, for the protractor lesson :thumbup:
I just ordered some 2* shims (not sure if steel or Al) from Bakers Alignment in Pontiac, MI 248-338-7390,...ask for Brian. They may be able to drop-ship them to you ;) . He said they start at 1/2*.

Back