• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lookin to lift but what all do i need??

mylucky24

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ classic. I have been lookin around on the forums for awhile now. This summer I am planning on lifting the XJ. As of right now it is a toss up between Rustys and RE. Rustys is cheaper and i have heard good things about them. RE is more $$ but i have also heard good things about them. I am also debating on wether to go 3-3.5" ( depending on which kit i buy) or 4.5" I would like to some day run 33's. I know with a 3' i can hack the fenders to hell and be able to squeeze the 33's. More the less If i run the 4.5' will i need a SYE , and a new CV? also what are shims? i have see guys talk about them but im not shure what they are...I just lookin for a little guidance.. on what to do...im lookin to spend really no more than 8-1000$

Last edited:
I think i know what the shims are for now, do they go between your axle and leaf spring to reduce the angle of the drive shaft?

I orignally looked at doing Rusty's 4.5 inch kit
luckly for me a friend orderd the 3" kit before me
He had so many issues with Rusty that I will not buy from him
Yet I have a friend who swears by Rusty and is doing a 9" lift on his XJ with Rustys stuff.
I vote for RE from my experience with them can't beat the springs
and their customer service is not bad at all.
Save your money and do it right the first time.
Cutting the flares is not that bad I have a budget boost and have 30X9.50 on my XJ till it gets taller. THe rear is quite simple and looks good the front is even easier just take your time and cut straight.

Thats my 2 cents

yeah its only a 1" 3/4 lift
Shackels and spacers
flares are gone with the 30X9.5 the tires barely make it

the rear is cut to prevent rubbing when wheeling
but I have fun on the blue trails up here in MD/PA area
soon will be around 5" with lots of extra. I will share when the project is under work for now just planning

I have a 3" BB on mine a 1.75 and .75 inch spacers in the front and 3" blocks in the rear(this allows really good flex both upwards and downwards BUT blocks are dangerous and I cannot wait to get rid of them) I have not had any issues "yet" with the blocks, but I am expecting it, heard nothing but bad stuff about blocks, but I lifted it all the way around for 80 bucks thanks to ebay and autozone for the blocks. I run Dunlop Mud Rovers 31x10.5 and have had no issues, the tires do rub on the inner finder well and have worn the metal a little bit, but the outer finders are still on one piece. This weekend I'll get someone to take a pic of the tire stuffed and post it here. My problem is my springs are shot both front and rear and are going to be replaced by rock crawlers 4.5 springs upfront and repacks with sets bought from the junk yard, and shackles for the rear. But I have yet found a need to cut anything. And i stuff often.

Last edited:
algeroth79 said:
yeah its only a 1" 3/4 lift
Shackels and spacers
flares are gone with the 30X9.5 the tires barely make it

the rear is cut to prevent rubbing when wheeling
but I have fun on the blue trails up here in MD/PA area
soon will be around 5" with lots of extra. I will share when the project is under work for now just planning
Yea, please do share, i am curious to see what all you do, I may follow in your foot steps :)

Back