• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which Bilstein shock

cowboybarber

NAXJA Forum User
I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but I have narrowed my shock choices down to OME or Bilstein. Curruently the Rock Lizard BB (the first one) on my XJ. My question is do I need to get the Original length Bilsteins or do I need to get the 5100's for the 2- 3" lift. I believe I need the 2-3" lift ones but the others are 20 bucks a piece cheaper! So experts tell me which ones to get.

well both will fit...it depends on if your going to be wheeling and flexing...and if you are going to be doing that...i would seriously consider getting the 2-3" ones so you can more travel with those shocks...don't let price kill ya...you might be mad in the long run if you ever do run the "stock" length...

I highly recommend the bilsteins. I run the 5150s and they are incredible.

It rides so well!!!

cracker said:
I highly recommend the bilsteins. I run the 5150s and they are incredible.

It rides so well!!!
2X

What valving on the 5150's are you guys running?

96XJCLASSIC said:
I forget the numbers but the soft setting is very soft.
I went with the comparatively firm choice.

96XJCLASSIC said:

255/70 front and back, works great

jeepme said:

Same here.

You'll really need to just measure to find out what length shock you can run. My guess is the 8" travel is all you'll be able to run, if that. Keep in mind that at least with the 5150's, you can only get eye bushings on the ends, so you'll have to use stud adapters to mount the front shocks, and those will add 1.5" to the shock length. For reference, I'm running 5.5" of lift and the 10" travel 5150's are the longest I can run using the stock axle mounts and JKS shock conversions on the top.

jeepme said:

THANKS.
I am going to go with a setup like this. Those are 10" travel shocks I believe.

IMG_6802-2.jpg

Pic from Fatwrecks site www.projectxj.com

Stud ends are avail for the 5150s.
They have to be ordered separately and replace the eye on the top end (thread in).
This will save you a couple inches of overall length.
Call these guys to order them:
http://eshocks.com/

Back