• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar performance cam barely runs!

badgator

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I installed my new Mopar performance camshaft and lifter (# 4529228 - .430 lift) set I won on Ebay. It did solve my previous problem of oil only getting up to 2 valves. BUT it barely runs! - backfires thru tb and exaust, rough idle. I installed a new Cloyes 3 pc timing set at the same time but did not degree the cam (garbage man came this morning so I couldn't install old timing set again). I installed a new CPS, because it was cheap $23. NO effect. I Indexed the distributor and advanced and retarded it too many times to count. At least the valves are getting oil! I missed work today and will tomorrow (total time missed now 6 days in 5 weeks) as I need my HEEP for work 80-100 mi a day. 89 cherokee 4.0 RENIX.

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't get the timing marks on the chain lined up correctly or the dist. in right. Pull the valve cover and set the #1 cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke. Use a scredriver in the spark plug hole to verify that the piston is at top .

Now is the rotor pointed at the #1 spark plug tower?
Are the valves for the number #1 cylinder both closed?

If both are correct you most likely have the timing chain on correctly.
If the dist is out but the valves are correct the dist is in wrong.
If both are off the timing chain is probably not correct.

Oh yeah double check your spark plug wires are not mixed up.

Back