• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terrible popping

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got the RE 4.5 SF lift and ive had it for like 2 years now and ive always had this little pop in my steering but i didnt care, well now i get terrible popping like going into driveways and anything that make the suspension articulate a little when im turning the wheels. And i dont even have to be turning them that much.

I figured it was my track bar so i checked it and when the wheels are turned it moves just alittle in the axle mount so i tightened it and its already at like 90 ft/lbs..! And it still moves alittle. (didnt have a torque wrench when I tightened it before).

Now im not sure what this could be everything else seems to be at torque specs.

Could be one of your anti-sway bar end links hitting a coil spring. I had this happen to me and I had to correct it by adjusting my JKS Quicker Disco's so the the angle was different.

J98cherokee said:
well i wish it could just be my sway bar but i havnt hooked that up in like...a year.. : /

I have the RE5.5LA lift and I think I have the same popping noise as you. Very annoying and so far no one can figure out what it is. For kicks I thought it might have been the unibody flexing so I plated about 14 inches of the front end. No change.

I have the RE Track bar, but it mounts to a bracket and then to the axle. I was having that same problem until i welded the bracket. No movement no popping. I can send a photo if you need.

Do you have any sort of steering box brace or track bar brace? I got the popping sound when I installed my 4.5" lift with 33's. I added the HD Track Bar and HD Track Bar Brace and whala - sound gone.

my stock track bar pops and cracks alot i have TB relocator bracket and the bolt that aligns the bracket hollowed out the hole it is in and now the hole is to big to keep the bracket correctly aligned

I have the 4.5 and had loud popping sounds as well as what I can only describe as metal fatigue. Turns out the stock trackbar bracket was ovaled, installed the hd track bar and hd mount from RE and most of the problems dissipated. Stiil have some noise, also check your qd's rubbing on the front coils as previously mentioned.

little red cheroke said:
my stock track bar pops and cracks alot i have TB relocator bracket and the bolt that aligns the bracket hollowed out the hole it is in and now the hole is to big to keep the bracket correctly aligned

http://www.jeepin.com/features/trackbarfix/index.asp

I wallowed out my hole too and this is a pretty easy fix, if you or a friend can weld some plate up. Measure and cut a piece of 1/4" steel, just using an angle grinder and drill a hole. It may seem hard if you've never 'fabbed' anything but this is the first 'fab' project I did, if you can call it that. It does help.

I also have a popping noise, and I think it may be because i still have stock UCAs, which hold the axle back a bit further and leave the track bar out of alignment. If you have ADJ UCAs, then they may just need some adjustment to move the axle forward or back a bit to get the track bar aligned again. Hope that helps.

Chris

Back